Stereo delay troubles

Andromalius

Inspired
To put it simply, the digital stereo delay block refuses to operate in stereo. It operates in mono only. Other stereo effects work fine, when I switch to the stereo delay while playing it stays in stereo for half a second or less and then goes mono. I have looked at every parameter I can think of, global settings etc, no dice. Ping pong works fine, as do Multitap and other delay blocks.
I'm using a 1st gen Axe fx II.

Any ideas ?

A stereo Delay doesn't do anything 'stereo' on it's own at default settings. I does allow the delay trails to remain stereo if there are any stereo effects be for it. Try enabling your stereo chorus and your stereo delay, then listen to the delay trails. Now switch to a Mono Delay and listen to the delay trails, They will be dead center.

Try changing the 'Ratio' to around 95%. that will offset the Left and Right delay times and make the delay itself stereo.

+1. If you feed a stereo delay a mono or center panned signal, the result will still be mono or center panned at default settings. Stereo only becomes apparent when there is a difference between the left and right channels.

+1. If you feed a stereo delay a mono or center panned signal, the result will still be mono or center panned at default settings. Stereo only becomes apparent when there is a difference between the left and right channels.
Sorry I don't mean to thread jack or anything, but does that hold true for amp blocks as well? If I'm running dual amps dead center with delay and chorus following, is if summed to mono because the amps are center?

Yes. Signals panned center have identical left and right channels. You essentially have two copies of the same mono signal. To maintain separation and a stereo image, pan the two amps opposite each other.

Yes. Signals panned center have identical left and right channels. You essentially have two copies of the same mono signal. To maintain separation and a stereo image, pan the two amps opposite each other.
Ahhhh ok I got it! Thank you!

You might want to use the ping pong delay instead of the stereo delay if you want to hear stereo repeats.

Back
Top Bottom