Stereo cab weirdness

rnjscooter

Experienced
ok, I must confess, since the lockdown I haven't been doing any recording, just playing thru my live rig. I got a new audio interface today so I set it all up and got everything working, the last thing to test my Axe3 in. I couldn't get any panning controls and at first I thought it was the interface. Then I went to the meters tab in my preset and this happens........

NOTE: My stereo cab block is panned hard left for cab 1 and hard right for cab 2....... And everything I am about to share is confirmed by the meters tab in my preset.

Muting either cab makes my signal LOUDER, and center. Muting the left cab does NOT mute the left speaker in my DAW, or my in ears. Nor does muting the right cab mute the left monitor. Nor does the pan control in for either cab have any influence on which speaker the guitar is coming out of. AND my tone changes as I Pan left and right in the speaker block.

So, I decided to try one of Cliffs user presets, starting with the cab block. Muting either cab in the cab block changes both my tone and raises the volume a few DBs, but does NOT mute the corresponding monitor in my DAW. So then I go to the amp block. WTH! Panning hard left full volume, panning hard right no volume.

I give......... Am I being a complete imbecile and missing something right in front of me????

well what's changed? your interface, so i think you might want to check again. you don't say which one it is, but if it has a mixer/monitor/console application that comes with it, i'd check the panning for each channel you're using.

if all that is tickety-boo, then check the settings in the global I/O for the outputs you're using

So this is basically just an original preset that comes with the 3. Output one goes to my Matrix power amp and Marshall cabs. Output 2 goes to my daw, or my in ears or whatever, so it has a cab clock. I thought @simeon might be on to something. in my I/O my out configuration was set to Sum L+R. I said AHA!, and changed it to stereo. and still nothing. pan the amp right and no signal, pan the amp left and full signal. I am trippin.........

cab input mode is set to stereo? how are the individual cabs panned?

you'll have to troubleshoot by following the signal path from the amp right through to the daw. if you hit layout and then page right, you'll see level meters for every block in the preset. check your cables. check everything.

Probably dumb question but I have to ask - Is the track in your DAW stereo or mono? I've had a similar issue before and realized the track in my DAW was mono.

OMG solved it! My cab block input mode was set to left, WTH?

@simeon, ya as per my earlier posts, everything that I am sharing is being verified my the meters.

So I am trying to understand, going into the amp block, the meters show 4 signals, not sure why. all four signals are even. In the cab block signals 1 and 2 are louder than 3 and 4.

When I pan left in the Amp block:
Amp Block signals 1 2 and 3 stay lit, 4 is off
Cab Block signals 1 and 3 stay lit, with 1 showing much more signal, 4 is off

Amp Block signals 1 2 and 4 stay lit, 3 is off
Cab Block signals 2 and 4 stay lit, with 2 showing much more signal, 4 is off

So I am feeling pretty good other than not knowing why all that occurs

OMG solved it! My cab block input mode was set to left, WTH?

@simeon, ya as per my earlier posts, everything that I am sharing is being verified my the meters.

So I am trying to understand, going into the amp block, the meters show 4 signals, not sure why. all four signals are even. In the cab block signals 1 and 2 are louder than 3 and 4.

Amp Block signals 1 2 and 3 stay lit, 4 is off
Cab Block signals 1 and 3 stay lit, with 1 showing much more signal, 4 is off

Amp Block signals 1 2 and 4 stay lit, 3 is off
Cab Block signals 2 and 4 stay lit, with 2 showing much more signal, 4 is off

So I am feeling pretty good other than not knowing why all that occurs
The “signals” from top to bottom are input left right and output left right. Panning left will make output right turn off and panning right would make output left turn off.

I think from your description, 1 and 2 are input L and R for the block, and 3 and 4 are output L and R. So 1 and 2 being louder just means the output is lower than the input. Panning left means IN L and R are still high, but out R goes to 0 since there's no OUT R signal. Cab block after that also has no R signal on IN or OUT.

Sorry I fell off the planet, out house was attacked by a bee colony. So, ya, everything is good. It's never sounded better. I thank everyone for all your time!

Stay safe and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom