Stereo Amps vs. Axe-Fx III

Wolfliver

Yesterday we started recording guitars for some songs of ours.
Our second guitar player uses very effect laden stereo sounds and I have to admit, it was an absolute joy to record (see the picture).
However, using an AF3 for half a year now, I had already forgotten how heavy those amps are.

I am really looking forward to hearing the Axe FX in comparison, which we'll get to this week, but I'm pretty sure, there won't be much of a difference.

Cheers to the entire Fractal Team!

StereoAmps.JPG

Good lord that's a lot of gear!

How are the stereo amps used? Are both of them set to either a clean or crunchy setting and then using pedals to adjust from there? Or is there channel switching involved?

Hehe - that’s the sort of rig that you plug into, get no sound, and spend the next 45 minutes diagnosing why, just to find the amp was in standby!
Nice and tidy setup.
Thanks
Pauly

Hehe - that’s the sort of rig that you plug into, get no sound, and spend the next 45 minutes diagnosing why, just to find the amp was in standby!
Nice and tidy setup.
Thanks
Pauly

That's probably the best description of my life prior to the AF3...
Solid cableing is a must. When we play shows, either one of us two guitar players would only use one of those amps and only one board. Still plenty to carry and go wrong.

Good lord that's a lot of gear!

How are the stereo amps used? Are both of them set to either a clean or crunchy setting and then using pedals to adjust from there? Or is there channel switching involved?

Ridiculous isn't it?

And you haven't even seen the microphones used yet. o_O
My band was asked to be an "examination" band for a student of sound engineering for the local university. Therefore he had accesss to a downright obscene amount of equipment.
On both amps we used
  • Shure SM 57
  • Neumann TLM 103
then a little further in the room
and finally way back in the far edges of the room
  • 2 Octava with spherical polar pattern.

The amps could both be switched between clean and crunchy. The signal was split behind the drives and some modulation and then only the ENGL had time based effects in its loop. But since the Bogner has spring reverb, it's not completely wet/dry.
So both amps could (and were) switched independently between clean and crunch modes.

If you'd like to hear how we sound (prior to AF3), take a look here:

That ENGL head is one of the most underrated amps around. I'd love to have it in the Axe-FX.

Couldn't agree more.
You can get close with the various Marshalls and their derivatives, because after all it is ENGLs interpretation of a good british sound, but I was never quite there.

Still I wonder, why I got the 100 Watt version for the small venues that we play. Must have been hybris of the early twenties...

ENGL does make great stuff. My only complaint is they’re almost TOO clean and well behaved. Perfect to record with, but I like some fight back from an amp sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom