Stereo amps and tracking.

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
How many of you folks don’t double track but use completely different models and cabs left/right? What are your results in comparison to separate takes of the same amp? Is there still good width in the mix? I’ve typically always used one model for a recording, but I’m considering switching it up. Can’t get a take any tighter than the same take on the other side.

I've tried this before and it can create a nice wide effect. However, with any stereo/widing effect you have a higher chance of creating phase issues, which is why I usually opt for 1 amp and usually in mono.

How many of you folks don’t double track but use completely different models and cabs left/right? What are your results in comparison to separate takes of the same amp? Is there still good width in the mix? I’ve typically always used one model for a recording, but I’m considering switching it up. Can’t get a take any tighter than the same take on the other side.

I use both, double track with slightly different settings on each side (may change IR, or change gain and EQ slightly)

I track in stereo with different IRs panned L/R for a lot of things, and/or for printing with stereo effects.

Still won't beat multi-tracking guitars if you need a big rhythm sound, but it's good to have the option and variety.

I have dabbled with this. It gives something different for sure but I still prefer double tracking. I have double tracked and reamped a total of 4 tracks (from DI) with 2 performances with mixed results unless I use sim IRs. This thing sounds so good.. I love playing it more than once...

Back
Top Bottom