Stereo 4x12 vs (2) 2x12 cabs

Nelder17

Buying a new cab (s) in a couple weeks, and I wont really have a chance to try out very much before I buy, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I want to run stereo, so I was just going to buy a single 4x12 that can run stereo and do it that way. However, I was wondering if it would be better to buy two individual 2x12's, which gives me the option to spread them apart and try out different speaker/cab combinations. Any thoughts on this? This is mostly going to be a home/jam set up, obviously at a gig it would just be one mic'd cab or a DI line for simplicity.

I would go with the 2 cabinets, as it gives you more options. Two 2x12s can act as one 4x12 when stacked. One 4x12 is one 4x12, and that's it. In my experience, I never felt I gained much running stereo to one cabinet, other than using both halves of my power amp and usually ended up just running what amounts to dual mono.

Im running FRFR now, but before 2 1x12 guitar cabs and could place them as I pleased depending on situation and venue. So, yea, 2 2x12 is my vote

Before I got my Ultra, my rig included two Mesa-Boogie 2x12 cabinets (driven by a Triaxis and a 2:90). Before the two 2x12's, I had a Marshall 4x12. So I can provide a few comments.

Pros:
- flexibility is great - depending on the gig (or rehearsal), you can bring just one or both
- separation is MUCH better (my Marshall 4x2 was stereo, but you couldn't tell)

Cons:
- depending on models, a 2x12 can be nearly as bulky and heavy as a 4x12 (my fault for choosing crazy big industrial cabs like the Mesas with metal grille). So in my case, my problems with portability and weight were made worse, not better
- Not many stages were "friendly" to dual cabinets (especially not the monster-sized Mesa 2x12s)
- dirty looks from band mates for having too much gear
- tendency on stage was to spread them right across the stage (not for looks but so that the band mate at the other end of the stage could hear the guitar) - this made the stereo separation useless (too much separation) except for whoever was dead center on stage.

Now that I have switched to FRFR, I get some of the same advantages (flexiibility, bring one or both, separation, etc.), and some of the inconveniences (though bringing and setting up two FRFRs is not nearly as troublesome as two 2x12s!).

Hope this may help somewhat.

i used to use four 1x12's, which gave me tons of options and easy portability. stack them all together to make a big stereo 4x12. bring two and spread them for a compact stereo rig. bring four and stack them in spread pairs for the big stereo rig. use one on it's own for little practice sessions. bring two and set one on top of the other for a small tower. carry one in each hand to and from the car. sorted.

Reactions: ESW
So it seems separate 2x12's is the way to go. Now, another question. Marshall 1936 (2x Celestion G12T-75's) and a Mesa recto 2x12 (2x V30's) a good pair? I'd like two different sounding cabinets to really have a nice full sound. Anyone got any insight/complaints/ideas/thoughts?

So it seems separate 2x12's is the way to go. Now, another question. Marshall 1936 (2x Celestion G12T-75's) and a Mesa recto 2x12 (2x V30's) a good pair? I'd like two different sounding cabinets to really have a nice full sound. Anyone got any insight/complaints/ideas/thoughts?

I've been messing around running a recto and an orange 4x12 together lately, even tho they're both V30's they do sound different (mesa brighter, orange darker) and blend well, they definitely sound big but I found that FRFR out of a couple of monitors gave a fuller sound wherever I stood (I like to wander about when jammin) and filled the room better than the cabs which were still pretty directional. Just my take :)

Years ago use to drive a 4x12 Mesa oversized Recto in stereo with a Triaxis and a 2:90 also it was short lived in a sense. --- I always felt there were phasing issues going on having stereo within the one cabinet without so much as a baffle separating left and right channels. And it was not all effects, example delays were never a problem reverb also sounded fine but if I was using a multi-voiced chorus I found myself forever tweaking the effect and also the EQ a bit. A friend suggested I try my gear with his Mesa 2x12 vertical cabs (two cabs), butted them against each other to form a 4x12 and it made the difference once I dialed in on his cabs I was fine even with the chorus and other phase effects like it. After that I just took the troublesome effects and made them mono the only thing I allowed to remain stereo was the delays. But that also went to mono later down the road just for the simple fact places I played either did not have or did not want to give that extra channel in the PA so I could keep the stereo integrity.

Even with the AF II playing out I stay mono that’s just a decision I came to through the years. If it’s a three piece I might play stereo but it also depends on the venue PA and also layout. I want it to sound good to the audience, if the majority of the audience is subjected to one half of my chorus or one half of my ping pong delay that can be very annoying to say the least. I know I have been in the audience and listened to stereo rigs. Also if there is another guitar in the band I like to remain mono, I feel if one of use is playing stereo it can get a bit muddy here and there (stepping over each other frequency’s so to say). Don’t take it too seriously, really depends on allot of factors.

But yeah! I would go with the 2x12 cabs, I have a Mesa 2x12 Recto and I love that cab.

John

A word of advice on this - and the usual disclaimers YMMV, IMO, Etc...
4x12 cabs were made for a purpose, to provide loud back line for rock especially when PA was left wanting. These cabs were made with relatively low powered speakers to generate distortion. (you rarely see a clean guitar player using a 4x12)
But Multi speaker cabs are a source of endless problems in terms of phase issues (comb filtering). 2x12s are especially nasty in that respect IMO.
These days of ultra efficient speakers and enclosures and great amps, I would absolutely suggest FRFR solutions, and if guitar speakers it must be, then I would suggest a stereo pair of 1x12 kept at a respectful distance from each other. Cleaner sound, better separation, etc.
My 1x12 loaded with ET65 driven by a 50Watt tube amp was SO LOUD that I NEVER pushed my amp past 4 or 5 and I was still way louder than the drummer.
I now use a combination of IEM and coaxial speaker and I'm in total tonal heaven and still have plenty of headroom even in a loud gig.

A pair of 2x12s will definitely be more versatile than a single 4x12. But they won't sound the same. Even with identical speakers, two smaller cabs don't sound the same as one larger cab, even if they both add up to the same size.

If you go with two 2x12s and you want that two-flavors-of-speaker fullness, consider putting one of each flavor into each cabinet.

These cabs were made with relatively low powered speakers to generate distortion. [/QUOTE said:
Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I think you might find some disagreement on this :) speaker distortion is a horrible unwanted noise. A traditional cab generally has 4 X 30W speakers. There are obviously various combinations of series/parallel wiring options but at the end of the day you are running a 100W head into 120W of capacity, there should be no speaker distortion.

Hmm, a lot to think about then I guess. Maybe i'll just pick up a single 2x12 for now, run it mono, and see how it goes from there. Maybe rent a second 2x12 for a weekend, run it stereo and see if I like it. I've considered the FRFR route, but the only thing that I've really liked the reviews and videos of were the Atomic Cab's and wedges, but I'd really like to be able to try something out before I buy and being in Canada, that really isn't an option. Thanks for all the input though guys, it's been a help for sure.

Good idea. Especially if you can't try before you buy. Get one, and see how you like it. Be on the lookout for any opportunity to hook it up to another cab or a FRFR setup. Even try it through your home stereo, with the Axe's cab sims engaged (but don't crank it—home speakers are too fragile for that).

Back
Top Bottom