Stereo 2x12 FRLR = fun and versatile

Sparky

I picked up an Axe-Fx III in December and have really enjoyed it so far. Something I have been missing a bit is the interaction between a guitar and the amp at volume - infinite sustain, controlled feedback, etc.

I tried going the route of using the effects loop return on a couple of different tube amps into a variety of cabs and speakers. One fun combination was into the effects return of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe connected to a 1x12 Avatar cab loaded with a Celestion G12-35XC. Other speakers had their moments too (Vintage 30, Celestion Gold, G12H anniversary).

I felt like I was heading in a better direction, but there were limitation going this route:
  • Each speaker has its own color, so this was not a great option for trying out a variety of IRs. I have never been a one speaker / cab person and I have accepted this.
  • Stereo is problematic and not as portable. Hello franken-rig.

I want a stereo plug and play solution that "just works" that I won't regret every time I need to transport it.

After going down the FRFR / FRLR research rabbit hole (so many options...) I settled on:
  • 2x Celestion F12M-150 Triple Cone Speakers loaded into an existing THD ported 2x12 cabinet rewired mono 4 ohm / stereo 8 ohm (jacks are isolated from the jack plate)
  • Crown XLS 1002 power amp (a bit overpowered but I am never going to drive the speakers full out)
  • Power conditioner

I chose the Triple Cones over the F12-X200's because I could hear the higher frequency response curve "dip" in F12-X200's in the comparisons against the Triple Cones and felt the Triple Cones were a little more articulate. Others may prefer the X200's. That's totally cool. Both seem to be great options.

I have spent a bunch of time playing with this setup now and I am enjoying the vibe immensely. It sounds great and most importantly feels great to play through. Instant stank face.

Just thought I would throw this out there since I have benefitted so much from other people's posts. I am not selling anything or suggesting this is the one true rig to rule them all.

Rock on.

I assume you're still running IR's in the Axe? Anytime I try running a PA style amp into regular guitar speakers, it sounds really cold.

Yes, I am running IRs in the Axe. Agree that the regular guitar speaker option doesn’t work well with IRs.

My goal was to be able to call up any factory preset as-is without having to tweak or drop the cab settings.

Everything sounds good to me and the color of each IR comes through if I want to sample different cabs in the Axe.

I would never claim this replaces flat studio monitors or is an AITR replacement. It is just fun to be able to plug in and play.

Agree with you 100%
Running two single 1x12 cabs in stereo loaded with f12-x200.
"Instant stank face" is an accurate description for sure.
I will never go back to studio monitors or PA solutions. Celestion absolutely nailed it with their FRLR speakers. It's all about the feel.

Back
Top Bottom