Stephen Carpenter, the JMP1, and Diamond Eyes

patch patch patch patch patch, why wont anyone post their patches, I do!!!!!!!!!!!

When I get home later I'll post my bassy one that's above, and my normal JMP1 patch.
Both were attempts at nailing the tone from Diamond Eyes.

While we're on the subject, do you think an SVT sim would work for sergio's bass tone, or do you think there's some fuzz and DI mixed in too?

Just an update to everyone. Drew (deftones tech) just said they will be releasing all of Stephs patches from bank A very soon :)

My Deftones Patches

Here they are. I still think the bassy one is probably TOO bassy though. I'd tweak the mixer a bit.

Attachments

• SC Deftones JMP1 BASS.syx
    2 KB · Views: 76
  • SC Deftones JMP1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 91
I re-recorded the guitar and bass.
The left side is a Das Metal I dialed in to try to sound similar to the JMP1
I also tried to match the eq of the original track more when I was doing the mixing.
How's it sounding?

Please post that patch!! It sounds great (although the whole mix is real fantastic)

Cheers,

Andy from Red Bull Country

Please post that patch!! It sounds great (although the whole mix is real fantastic)

Cheers,

Andy from Red Bull Country

Hey man the left side was my VH4 patch and the right was the JMP1.
I also put up the bass patch I used for the bass guitar. It's a Stuart Spector NS2001.

Attachments

• SC Deftones VH4.syx
    2 KB · Views: 80
  • SC Deftones JMP1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 66
  • Thick Bass.syx
    2 KB · Views: 47
I've got a bit of an update about Stephen Carpenter's patches on the Axe-FX Ultra.
His guitar tech replied to me on twitter and mentioned that they use stock IRs and mainly the JMP1 for his sound.
As for when the patches will be made available, he said once they're done touring Stef will be fine-tuning his Axe from home and they hope to have them available to us before Christmas. I can't think of a better Xmas gift tbh. :)

Hey. I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it. Just wanted to let you know that Stephen Carpenter used an 8 string guitar on Diamond Eyes in case you didn't know - I saw you were trying to get lower tones with the 7 string model of his guitar.

Hey. I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it. Just wanted to let you know that Stephen Carpenter used an 8 string guitar on Diamond Eyes in case you didn't know - I saw you were trying to get lower tones with the 7 string model of his guitar.

Yeah that's true. I have my guitar tuned to drop F# though so it's got the range to cover that album.

I ran the guitar through voxengo span at the part in the song where it's JUST guitar and you can see that the frequencies go into 30hz.
There's no amount of tweaking on the JMP1 model on the axe that can get that sort of bass.

dude you have to understand that when you send an electric guitar through an amp and and push a 4x12 cab with it at stage levels, those 4 ea 12 inch speakers push serious air, and the entire cabinet resonates because of it, like it's own instrument. if you know about overtones, the same thing happens with subharmonic content...even if you play the high strings, with a cranked amp the sheer volume will create subharmonics that will resonate waaaaaaayyy down. try playing the high B string on fret 13 and the high E string on fret 10 (minor 7th, pluck them both at the same time) and bend the B string up a whole tone to make an octave. do it with distortion, but not too much, but have the volume up. WHERE THE FUCK DOES THAT BASS DROP COME FROM??? it's like 6 octaves down. if you've ever blown over the top of a coke bottle, a 4x12 cab is no different.

the recording on an album is the recording of a mic'd 4x12 in a studio pushing air, not a preamp through an IR.

Guitar speakers (even the bigger ones like K100's or EV12L) are NOT able to produce frequencies in the 30 hz-range (as a "useable" signal)
So, even if you use 8- or 9 string guitars, if you use guitar speakers, they won't go that deep. If you really want to go down to that frequency area with your guitar, I suggest IRs of a 15" cab.
It's really sad, that most of the low-tune guitarist seem to forget, that this frequency area belongs to the bass-player. I play 7-string guitars with the b-string tuned to A......and I still love to hear and feel the lower signal range done by a bass player.
And - the Deftones HAVE a bass player (and a very good one!) ;-)

Back
Top Bottom