Step-by-Step Guide Amp Matching Tutorial incl. preset-template - tested and valid

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Well, now it`s perfect: The tutorial (PDF) is reworked, preset-template was optimized and tested by Axe-II Owner with a real VOX AC30 (thanks to "year2525") and rewritten in correct english! (thanks again to "year2525").

Advantages of the AMP-MATCHING-template:

- After hook up the "real amp setup" connected to the axe-fx-II you can without switching any hardware:
* A/B switching between real Amp and the sim in the Axe for tweaking with guitar to correspondent sound and gain
* Matching the real thing by using accurate test-tone from the synth-block
* A/B testing after finishing the match
All this just by bypassing and unbypassing blocks in the axe-grid.

- Matching with test-tone from synth-block: results will get independent from used guitars and should be more accurate!

- whole Monitoring (of the real amp & the Axe Amp block) is managed through the OUTPUT1 / Headphones from the axeFx-II

Forum-User "year2525" gets great results and while A/B testing with a friend (Owner of a TWO-ROCK amp and SUHR guitar). Both were lost to say, which one was the real Amp .... by tone and feel (!)

I really hope, "year2525" will comment here and/or give us some impressions of his work, working process and A/B test samples ...

The tutorial in PDF-format (and much better english translation !!!) and the AxeFX-II AMP-match-

template ist zipped. I cant post zips or pdfs in this forum. SO PLEASE DOWNLOAD IT HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gqye8ep4...MATCHING TUTORIAL & TEMPLATE by morphosis.zip

Knowing, that this is the third-thread for this theme i swear: It is the last! Now, i hope for real, you`ll appreciate it!

It`s done! It`s tested! It work great! Participate!

Hope you will recorgnize the advantages of testone AMP matching and the A/B possibilities of this template over the known tonematching process by using guitar only for test-tone, like we do!

Last edited:
Thanks! Great stuff!
Can't test it right now but your material is in safe place :mrgreen

Hi guys!

Congratulations on this tutorial, Morphosis, and thanks for letting me help out a bit. You've got some real dedication there.

I hope many people will explore this! Once you've set it up, it's really efficient.
Also, the template helps a LOT.

As mentioned, a friend of mine and myself did experiment in the last two days matching my AC30 and Diezel VH4.
I've kept these amps in the first place as I intended to use the Axe FX II as a dedicated effects unit. Been exploring the amp models (some of them, by far not all) since then and did get some great results.

However, I was always able to tell the differences in sound between the AC30 model of the Axe and my real amp.
I assume, this was the case not because the modeling sounds worse but because the specific AC30, that had been modeled, was a very special vintage unit (with a much sought after sound).

Mine is not. It's an reissue Vox AC30 head with a Vox cabinet.
I love its sound though! It's got a warm mid-range that I'm used to, while the Axe AC30 sounds a bit more chunky (to me). I could come close with EQing (outside the amp parameters).

So I set up the Axe and my Amp to match the preamp in the normal and the top boost channel and choose the corresponding models in the Axe. Besides lowering the bass of the amp model about 2 dB I left everything at default.

After matching we compared the real amp to the matched Axe sound through an Axe cab (and monitors) as well as through the real cab. In the end we were not able to tell a difference. We thought we noticed differences while playing but calling out the different amps statistics proved us wrong.
The only clear difference was the noise of my real Amp (+the noise of OUT2, I guess) that you could hear while the guitar was silent.

We did get these results also by simply playing into the TMA for reference and local.
However, once you change the pickup (and guitar) the differences become clearer.

This was much more consistent with the matches that had been done with a sine sweep, as Morphosis' tutorial suggests and his template already prepared for you.

Because of that I can totally imagine the "amp matching" with a sine sweep being a good basis for amp tone exchange via exported Cab IRs for certain Axe Fx amp models or whole amp presets.

Myself, I'm going to offer sine sweep matches of different channels of my 2 amps (preamps, and eventually mic'ed cabs) ASAP (in the next few days).

Also, before this I'll make sure to post comparison soundfiles, pics and graphs trying to show the similarities and differences.

Hope you guys try it out yourself and post your experiences etc. as Octatonic did in the other thread (awesome matching btw!).

Congratulations on this tutorial, Morphosis, and thanks for letting me help out a bit.

year2525, thank YOU for your helping hand! I cant wait hearing comparison soundfiles and technical critical measurement pics and graphs of the matchings!!!! Awesome idea! Hope many guys will and can have advantage from your AC30 & the DIEZEL VH matched right now in the AXe-FX-II!

;)

ONe of the popups on that page had a virus attached. It would be best to have a DL link from a dropbox or box.com account.

& I cant get it to download.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot! Funniest thing (NO, this is NOT funny): I still do not have an Axe FX II :O ... It was all theoretical thinking, but then praxis tested with the friendly help from Axe-II owner "year2525" and his VOX AC30 *LOL

Morphosis!!

You are da man :)
It works Tjoho

Sorry for the last Post i gave you.. My bad. I just didddent DARE to test it out. (bow`s down,in the dirt)

I just did 10 presets of My Markbass (bass amp) Jusing the DI out. The VLE,and VPF filters are nais sounding
And it fu%# ing sounds JUST like my di signal.
Am a happy camper.

Next i will do some of my friends Bass amps,shoot IR of lots of bass cabs. And lots of My friends amps :)

Thanx man. And again ...sorry for the "hars" Post i did

*let Morphosis jump the line for a Axe Fx 2*...just saying :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind words. At the moment i translate the tutorial for the german community and came up with a little new idea:

Turn the balance of the TMA Block to RIGHT. If the block is bypassed, doesn`t matter. But after matching is done you can replace the Cab block behind the amp block with the TMA Block (get the TMA Block out of the "reference" (=FX LOOP) routing!). Now switch the Mixer`s output mode to STEREO (for A/Bing to tweak the amp before matching i recommend MONO = identical monitoring for both signal paths). So, in STEREO the "reference" routing ends on OUTPUT 1 LEFT, the matched "local" routing ends on OUTPUT 1 RIGHT. In other words: You can route both paths simultaneously to different channels into your DAW and record your stuff for comfortable A/B check in your DAW! Bring both chains to same recording-level by monitoring everything through the Axe OUTPUT 1 ;)

If matching just a amp-head or preamp (say no speaker or speakersim is in the FX LOOP "reference" chain) it would make most sense putting the CAB Block behind the TMA-block for monitoring both signal chains for fair comparison through a STEREO CAB Block panned hard left/right -> same effect as the Mixer does ... right?

That said, i really hope you guys share some of your real Amps each other by posting some A/B clips and the correspont Axe-II preset ;)

This is and was my wish and my stimulation doing that tutorial and the matching-template!

Hopefully
Markus

(sorry for my bad english)

Last edited:
After reworking the Tutorial for the germans, i redo the important updates for the english version also!.

AMP-MATCHING TUTORIAL v2:

- new QUICKPICS: Step-by-Step Process with pic-support for two szenarios:
1) real AMP+CAB insert in the FX LOOP
2) only PREAMP / HEAD insert in the FX LOOP

Really Hope the Quickpic Page do make the things more visible and coherent !!!

- new, slidely changed preset for maximize comfortness
- QUICKSTART Process first, deeply preset template interpretation last ...

DOWNLOAD HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rqg1ji6c17wos7/matching-Tutorial_ENGLISH_v2.zip

Last edited:
Tried to Amp Match however Input 2 level (from Amp FX loop) is low and wasn't changing by increasing the fx loop send level. Any help here would be appreciated.

maximize output 2 (recommended!)
I/O Menu: -> copy out 1 to out 2 = OFF!
check I/O Menu -> Input 2 Gain! (rising up?)
double check FX LOOP routing: Output 2 LEFT -> Amp in -> micPre/line out -> Axe Input 2 LEFT
double check, if Amp sent output signal
check balances in FX LOOP (-100% LEFT)

Did the LEDs from IN 2 L blink when signal is sent? if not, plugin you guitar. If then yes: the routing before is corrupt. If with guitar nothings come up to blink .... check the I/O INPUT 2 GAIN! do that first!

Last edited:
Got it figured out! Just did a few Amp matches with the Mark V in Ch1 and Ch3. Sounding pretty darn accurate. Will share some presets tomorrow. My goal is to match each channel and mode on the amp. Thanks Morphosis. Great tutorial!

Back
Top Bottom