Step 1: Sell Amp- Done. Step 2...

Bird

So the Roadster went today. I just found myself using plugins to practice and record as it was so much easier. I've been reading on the FM9 vs AxeFx3 and trying to figure out which to grab. In terms of reverbs and delays does the FM9 reach its limits quickly or is that only with insane settings? In Devin's recent Rig Rundown he said something like, "the right tool for the job you want to complete." Problems is I don't know what the job is yet. Any feedback on the FM9 for recording would be appreciated. Is it enough, or would the AxeFx3 be a better choice? Thanks. Apologies for the verbal diarrhea.

Hi Bird,

Welcome!

It's hard to answer without context, however I'd suggest the FM9 should be fine for almost anything! Where you may come unstuck is if you are one of those dudes that wants to put 25 blocks into a preset... then I guess the best option is the most powerful one (You'll want to stay under 85% processor utilisation).

I'd tip that if you were using plugins to record (and you didn't have a squillion of them in a row!), you'll be fine with the FM9.

Thanks
Pauly

So the Roadster went today. I just found myself using plugins to practice and record as it was so much easier. I've been reading on the FM9 vs AxeFx3 and trying to figure out which to grab. In terms of reverbs and delays does the FM9 reach its limits quickly or is that only with insane settings? In Devin's recent Rig Rundown he said something like, "the right tool for the job you want to complete." Problems is I don't know what the job is yet. Any feedback on the FM9 for recording would be appreciated. Is it enough, or would the AxeFx3 be a better choice? Thanks. Apologies for the verbal diarrhea.

the FM9 is the sweet spot imo. And the ability to run two reverb blocks, two delay blocks, and two amp blocks without really using much CPU is pretty cool.

For example, on FM9 Turbo:

Empty preset: 11.1%
Input 1 far left; output 1 far right; connected: 16.8%
Add amp 1: 17.4%
Add amp 2 in parallel and connect it: 18.3%
Add delay 1, delay 2, and reverb 1 in series, and reverb 2 in parallel, all connected (reverbs ultra high): 23.2%
Add cab 1 (YA ultra res): 30.0%

That's a pretty beefy preset for just 30% CPU load. Especially so considering a blank preset is 11.1% (less if not connected to the editor?).

You can do an awful lot with an FM9/FM9T.

But if you're concerned about it, just grab an AxeFX. It's more readily available and you'll have the extra headroom.

Kiiiinda hard to go wrong :)

I've been using my AXE3 in the studio for 4 or 5 years. I rely on it heavy, but if I didn't play out that much, and only needed one device, I would sell it and use my FM9 instead, in heartbeat. If I had bought it first I would not have bought anything else- except maybe another FM9 as a backup.

If you have any intention of using footswitches, save yourself some dough and grab the FM9. There is enough processing power to get great tones with lots of effects and room to spare!

Without knowing your style or typical rig - In a gig scenario you could likely use one do-it-all preset, and then save variations of it for certain songs in the setlist. Having the flexibility of layouts using the built-in footswitches, I'd imagine you can get it to where you want it easily and without buying separate FC controllers.

If you only use one sound, or play only at home or in a studio, maybe you don't need footswitches and the AFX3 sitting in a rack would be fine. But I'd argue it's also overkill for that - and if you're practicing, wouldn't it be fun to stomp on some stuff to get heavy or for a specific part just like you would with a channel changer and some pedals?

Oh and for recording, you get SPDIF, and a variety of outs if you want to plug it into an interface. Or just to USB and use it as the centrepiece when you're tracking, knowing you can pick it up and go to a jam, a gig, or another room!

Back
Top Bottom