Stef Carpenter and firmware updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this mentioned several times in other threads. Isn't the original one already in there now? He left the original version in as BE/HBE V1 and the new one is BE/HBE V2. Seems like if you pick V1 and use 2.00 modeling, you would have the "original" version.
No, the reference amp that was used for the new versions of the HBE is a completely different (newer) amp. Different reference amp, different sound.

I know that, I was trying to prove a point to all the negative, including you, responses. Re-read the thread.
Bottom line is, upgrade firmware or don't upgrade firmware, your choice. But, if you choose to upgrade, don't complain about changes. I'm new and I can see it's been discussed to death. Firmware updates may alter your tone, due to some changes.

I don't consider what I said negative. Of course it's our choice, that's a given. it's our choice to even use the Axe-fx. I'm guessing that Stef stopped using it because of what he deemed a good reason. Been using the axe for a long time now, back to the standard, I understand updates.

Well when it comes to this particular guitarist, he's not exactly a genius. Smokes a shit ton of weed, has admitted to being lazy as Hell. Maybe a product with a ton of freedom isn't for poor, poor Stephen.

I think for most users it is worth it to stay on top of it; but that is not true for everyone. The real issue is likely the scope/context of your use. Some legit rock stars that are doing international tours and playing to potentially thousands of people per show are using the Axe. In that scenario, I would absolutely never update on a tour and have at least two physical units on hand, maybe three. So if you're the guitarist for the Deftones should you upgrade every FW? F*ck no.

So it varies from Madison Square Garden all the way to Madison Square Bedroom. Pretty quickly along that spectrum, I'd say it is worth the effort to upgrade and redial for many of the releases. If you are gigging to decent sized crowds, definitely skip the minor ones or only upgrade between major event dates.

And while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think for the most part FAS has exhibited incredibly good judgement/ears. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty amazed since there is some qualitative evaluation involved here... So, for a strong majority of users it tends to just get uniformly "better" when you upgrade and redial, IMHO.

Every time there has been a legit issue or speed bump; elimination of a popular amp, 2.01 vs 2.02 preamp model, FAS has offered up a solution that works (add model back, allow selection of preamp model, etc) in an incredibly timely manner.

So, IMHO, people hung up on an older version due to some sound quality (rather than folks like Carpenter who are held back by the practicality of not being willing to or able redial/upgrade frequently) are very much the exception and I would bet in some of those cases it is more likely they have not given the update a fair chance, rather than a legit "to my ears FW-1 was better".

It's pretty absurd really. The biggest "problem" with this unit is that it keeps getting even more incredible and capable over time.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to answer the question. Either that or the answer is: "no, you can't backup the firmware". That seems like a bit of a problem if you're telling someone it's easy to roll back to the version they were running previously if they don't like the new firmware.

The answer above shows how to backup/restore your old presets from a specific firmware version. Use Fractal-Bot to load correct firmware version first from http://archive.axefx.fr/

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to answer the question. Either that or the answer is: "no, you can't backup the firmware". That seems like a bit of a problem if you're telling someone it's easy to roll back to the version they were running previously if they don't like the new firmware.
The *firmware* is the same for every user of that device. If you saved the FW archive (the .zip or whatever it is you download from the Fractal site) you HAVE a backup of that version of the firmware.

In my Fractal Audio folder I created a dir called firmware and I put the current one in there and drop a seconf copy into a subdir in that folder Called "archive". I have tens of old FW versions sitting there for rollback if need be. I have never needed to do this even ONCE but it is nice to know they are there.

Your *settings/presets* are NOT the firmware. They are ... wait for it.... your settings. You can back those up with Fractal Bot. That process is crazy, stupid, easy.

Summary: You should NEVER have to backup your Firmware. You should always backup your settings. Everything is easy.

If you haven't saved your old FW files but for some God awful reason think you need to go back goto:
http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX II Firmwares/

And get whatever it is you need.

This is something I will have to think about going forward. I've been using the Axe since 2013 but only for home practice. So I never gave a second thought about updating. I just did it. I look forward to it always getting better and moving forward. But now in the last month or so I've made the leap to gigging with my XL and AX8. My tube amp days are over. So I will have to be cautious about updating. I use the AX8 more so for gigging than the Axe. Since it seems to get updates first I guess I can try it on my XL before updating the AX8.

I would have to agree with Zenaxe here. I think the question of when to or not to update comes down to who the musician is and just how much work would go into tweaking tones IF the updates makes you do so. For those of us who are bedroom players or live guitarists that only use a handful of go to tones, re tweaking after a FW update isn't much of an issue but man... If I was a professional touring musician or someone that uses tons of different presets in one gig, the constant possibility of an update changing your tones would be a nightmare. True, this is a risk that we all knowingly take when we update and should be considered accordingly before doing so. I don't know who the particular guitarist is in this interview but from your guys' description, kind of sounds like he's not bright enough or doesn't care enough to realize this issue and take that into consideration before updating... his loss there.

The thing that I hate to see out of all of this is we have a lazy guitar player getting interviewed in a major magazine that is dogging an awesome product. We all know about these issues because we READ and keep ourselves informed. I hate it when a great product gets an undeserved bad review due to someone's lack of desire to know their gear.

For those of you who update: how do you adjust your presets so they sound the same as they did before the update? Unless you have two AxeFX, you can't listen to them side by side.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on making sure you keep a copy of the firmware when downloading. It seems a bit odd that you have to go to a 3rd party for the archive of the firmware though. Call me skittish, but I'd be a little nervous about installing firmware I didn't obtain from FAS :).

For those of you who update: how do you adjust your presets so they sound the same as they did before the update? Unless you have two AxeFX, you can't listen to them side by side.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on making sure you keep a copy of the firmware when downloading. It seems a bit odd that you have to go to a 3rd party for the archive of the firmware though. Call me skittish, but I'd be a little nervous about installing firmware I didn't obtain from FAS :).

There really isn't a way to know for certain unless you have a way to A/B everything. You just have to use your ears and tweak to your tastes afterwards.

P.S. When people say "backup and then restore if you don't like the new firmware", how do you back up the firmware?
I save my old firmware. I only have what came with it and the latest version.
But Here is part of an article that explains a procedure:
Backup, Install, and Rollback Firmware on the Axe-Fx II
by Chris | Aug 28, 2015 | Featured, General FAQ - Axe-Fx II

Tempted to install the latest Firmware or Public Beta, but not sure what to do if you don’t like it? Use Fractal-Bot to Backup your current settings, Install the latest Firmware, and Rollback to previous Firmware and settings you saved from the Backup.

The most important step always is to BACKUP using the Receive tab in Fractal-Bot. Without a backup, you can never return to an older version. Also be sure to quit Axe-Edit when using Fractal-Bot.

No, the reference amp that was used for the new versions of the HBE is a completely different (newer) amp. Different reference amp, different sound.

Ahh you are right sir. I went back and re-read the release notes. I was under the impression the V1 was the "original" but it's the new one with the voicing switch to the left. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I wish Cliff would add the original Mark IIC+ model, the one that was in prior to G3. It had a much tighter sound to me but I've since moved on to the Triaxis Yellow mode which more than makes up for the loss of it.

Ahh you are right sir. I went back and re-read the release notes. I was under the impression the V1 was the "original" but it's the new one with the voicing switch to the left. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I wish Cliff would add the original Mark IIC+ model, the one that was in prior to G3. It had a much tighter sound to me but I've since moved on to the Triaxis Yellow mode which more than makes up for the loss of it.

I am rapidly discovering changing a cab makes a huge difference. I discovered Fractal's 4 x 12 Greenback version. It really brings out the tone and gives more fluid distortion and early breakup for my classic rock presets.

I am rapidly discovering changing a cab makes a huge difference. I discovered Fractal's 4 x 12 Greenback version. It really brings out the tone and gives more fluid distortion and early breakup for my classic rock presets.

One of the factory cabs or from a cab pack?

Though the quote in question does not seem dismissive, Carpenter is his own man- although Koi No Yokan is on constant rotation in my car, I would not utilize his opinion (nor that of any other guitarist) as a basis for evaluating equipment.

At any rate, unless in the process of recording a track, I am not concerned whether firmware upgrades produce sonic variation- I am more concerned about qualitative assessments which are far less arduous to comprehend, e.g.: how fantastic do the updated amp models sound?

Valve amplifiers hardly retain exact sonic characteristics between sessions...

Though the quote in question does not seem dismissive, Carpenter is his own man- although Koi No Yokan is on constant rotation in my car, I would not utilize his opinion (nor that of any other guitarist) as a basis for evaluating equipment.

Obviously :).

You are here reading, learning, helping, forming your own opinion. Unfortunately there is a vast amount of people that are total followers, read something like that and be like... well that must be crap. Ain't saying it's a for sure thing, just saying it's a shame when it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom