Steely Dan tonight! (Guytron obsession at max...)

Since you asked, @unix-guy
I have seen the Dan every time they pass thru in the decade + they have toured in their current incarnation, except for last year, when it just felt too close to Walter’s death to enjoy.... I can truly say that while he was certainly remembered, but he was not missed musically in this show. The band lineup remains as it has for some years with the addition of a second guitarist from Woodstock NY who shared lead responsibilities with Jon Herrington, as opposed to simply stepping into Walter’s role. IMO, the arrangements were heavily tweaked to keep things fresh while not messing with essential song structures and motifs , to great success ...almost every tune had some kind of unique big band coda that may at first have confused the audience....but i loved em. Fagen has evolved his vocal style to make up for the vagaries of a fading voice and diminished range with
Crisp enunciation and articulation, as well as further integration of the magnificent vocals of the 3 Danettes in his arrangements. Sells it and nails it.
This band is as tight and in the pocket as any in the world, and it was the opinion of the fellow Danheads in my party that this might have been the most enjoyable set we have heard from them....if you can catch them this year...DO IT
.........as an incredible surprise and bonus...the opening band (unique to the Ravinia dates) was a reunion of sorts for legendary Chicagoland musicians from the bands the Mauds and the Flock, hitmakers in the 60s , and featuring two of my musical idols, Howard Levy-alum of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones,, considered by those who know of these things as the greatest living jazz/blues harmonica player, and .....JERRY GOODMAN.from Dixie Dregs, and significantly, Mahavishnu Orchestra with whom I first heard Jerry play his unique style of fusion Violin in the same venue (ravinia ) in 1971!!! Howard came back during the Dan set to solo on a killer version of Black Friday...
Did I mention I enjoyed it....!
They were very tight on phone security, so no pics or vids......

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!

I checked the local date here and my calendar and they unfortunately don't align... :(

Awesome bonus for you - I'm not familiar with the band you mentioned but I'm a huge fan of Howard Levy with the Flecktones and also of Jerry Goodman with the Dregs!

Thanks for the review!

I checked the local date here and my calendar and they unfortunately don't align... :(

Awesome bonus for you - I'm not familiar with the band you mentioned but I'm a huge fan of Howard Levy with the Flecktones and also of Jerry Goodman with the Dregs!
I got to schmooze with Jerry and Howard a bit between sets..we all have mutual friends and associations...Howard led a local Afro- Cuban Fusion band in Chicago for many years and I attended many shows...here their only release.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/secret-dream/157666200

So it turns out we're going to be in C Springs next Tuesday anyway ;-)

Garden of the Gods during the day. Music of the Gods at night.

Great show last night!! Ditto on everything @bradlake said. The whole band is killer, especially the drummer. Donald seemed to be having a good time (in his ironic way ;-). Great setlist, every song was great and delivered with authority, although I could've gone for a few more deep tracks. I also liked how they had the horn players come out front for some of their solos, really gave them a chance to shine. If you have the opportunity, go see them.

I saw them in Birmingham on their last run through the UK.

Stevie Winwood was special guest, and even joined them for a tune on Hammond singing Pretzel Logic brilliantly

Loved how good the Guytones sounded, and Jon even had an SG out for a few tunes and was drifting into ACDC tones.
We were close enough where I could hear his tone off of the stage and it sounded great, of course the playing across the board was off the chart.

Bucket list gig for me. I didn't get to see them with Walter but I a SOOO glad I saw the show

I saw them in Birmingham on their last run through the UK.

Stevie Winwood was special guest, and even joined them for a tune on Hammond singing Pretzel Logic brilliantly

Loved how good the Guytones sounded, and Jon even had an SG out for a few tunes and was drifting into ACDC tones.
We were close enough where I could hear his tone off of the stage and it sounded great, of course the playing across the board was off the chart.

Bucket list gig for me. I didn't get to see them with Walter but I a SOOO glad I saw the show
Bonus points for you for judiciously not mentioning that Winwood played guitar thru a Kemper.........(at least he did when I saw him open for SD before Walter’s passing...)

Bonus points for you for judiciously not mentioning that Winwood played guitar thru a Kemper.........(at least he did when I saw him open for SD before Walter’s passing...)

He did, but thanks to the airport level security we missed most of the set where he was playing guitar so he was on the Hammond most of what we saw

To be fair after the guitar solo in Mr Fantasy I was looking for his amp as the tone was really good and saw he had a toaster

He did, but thanks to the airport level security we missed most of the set where he was playing guitar so he was on the Hammond most of what we saw

To be fair after the guitar solo in Mr Fantasy I was looking for his amp as the tone was really good and saw he had a toaster
Yeah his guitar tone was stellar...(i am a kemper owner as well.. but don’t flaunt it here)

Back
Top Bottom