Steely Dan 2018...holy sh**!

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I've always wanted to see SD, but sadly didn't get a chance until Walter was gone. Donald said he really missed him but but is carrying on (as his partner would've wanted).

They KILLED last night in Denver. I also was very impressed how strong Doobie Brothers still are vocally. If DB is this good now, they must've been unstoppable when they were young and bulletproof.

Steely Dan -- so many great things to say there. I'll stick to two: John Herington's Guytron sounded beautiful. I hope we get that model someday. What a great amp.

And the drummer...the f-ing drummer...
Keith Carlock is the best drummer I've seen in person. If I ever saw a better one in person, I wouldn't know it because he eclipsed anything I remember. A sample from his twitter; it was like this all frikken night.

Last edited:
My band does a number of SD tunes.
Definitely a guitar players dream to play.
Who else was on the bill?

I've always wanted to see SD, but sadly didn't get a chance until Walter was gone. Donald said he really missed him but but is carrying on (as his partner would've wanted).

They KILLED last night in Denver. I also was very impressed how strong Doobie Brothers still are vocally. If DB is this good now, they must've been unstoppable when they were young and bulletproof.

Steely Dan -- so many great things to say there. I'll stick to to two: John Herington's Guytron sounded beautiful. I hope we get that model someday. What a great amp.

And the drummer...the f-ing drummer...
Keith Carlock is the best drummer I've seen in person. If I ever saw a better one in person, I wouldn't know it because he eclipsed anything I remember. A sample from his twitter; it was like this all frikken night.

this the first SD tour I will have missed since They resurrected themselves around the turn of the century ...not emotionally ready to see a Walterless stage quite yet...Agreed on ALL your points...Carlock is the top cat ..and Herrington is certainly awesome, and the main reason that this sits here........How was Donald’s voice?IMG_0181 (1).jpg

Bodhisattva: jazz with arena rock ending LOL
I was using my iPhone zoomed and binoculars at the same time so pardon the wandering cam

Who else was on the bill?
Doobie Brothers

Agreed on ALL your points...Carlock is the top cat ..and Herrington is certainly awesome, and the main reason that this sits here........How was Donald’s voice?View attachment 47456
Nice pick! Guytron is an awesome amp. I'm surprised it's not in the Axe-Fx given it seems to have a unique approach/architecture. Pre-axe, I was shopping tube amps and only got a Fuchs because the Guytron was so massive. Replaced Fuchs with Suhr Badger and eventually sold that too.

The only part of the band that wasn't 100% reliable near end of the gig was Donald's voice, but he's getting it done; God bless him for soldiering on without his other half. This was earlier in the set.

Old School, last before Reelin' in the Years encore. Keith Carlock was huffing and puffing at 5,280ft, but took absolutely no prisoners on drums, right up to his solo at the last of Reelin'

Again, pardon wandering cam. Maybe it was videoing and binocs at same time, maybe it was the waves of weed wafting up from below.

Took a couple vids of Doobie Brothers set as well.

Hopefully this will inspire you guys to get some of this before it's gone. What a great night!

Ya ya ya, you got me goin, M
Old School, last before Reelin' in the Years encore. Keith Carlock was huffing and puffing at 5,280ft, but took absolutely no prisoners on drums, right up to his solo at the last of Reelin'

Again, pardon wandering cam. Maybe it was videoing and binocs at same time, maybe it was the waves of weed wafting up from below.

Took a couple vids of Doobie Brothers set as well.

Hopefully this will inspire you guys to get some of this before it's gone. What a great night!

ok, ok .Mr. -Act ......I’m in for next Thursday in what has been one of my least favorite Chicagoland outdoor venues on the day after my Bday
(When I’m 64......dunt dunt) ....last time I went there was years ago when I walked out on Buffett as I was stepping in parrot dung ..........

Back
Top Bottom