Steel Panther mix/ satchel's guitar sound

NHD

Hi,

I've been wondering about Satchel's lead sounds. That guy is great on stage!
But now I'm interested to hear anybody's opinion on his recorded sound, especially if someone has a little experience in studio editing and mixing...

Although in my book Satchel is technically outstanding and plays nice melodic solos I'm not impressed by his tone. I don't think it's bad at all, it just doesn't get me excited. It feels a little sterile and somehow distant.

Obviously this is my personal perception, so please only reply if you feel similar about it.
Too much EQ? Too little delay? Placing of microphones?

What do you think?

I think his rhythm and lead tones are great. I can recognize the bits of the original 80's songs they drew inspiration from when writing their own tunes. The SP tones are usually very close to the originals.

Russ is a great guitar player saw him perform when he was doing the Atomic punks stuff. I do have to say the name Satchel is a little over the top, to bubble gum for me but it's working for him and I guess that's all that counts.

I think his rhythm and lead tones are great. I can recognize the bits of the original 80's songs they drew inspiration from when writing their own tunes. The SP tones are usually very close to the originals.

Yeah, I know. I like how they mimic the sounds and effects of the original songs, Bon Jovi, Van Halen whatever. That's not really what I mean...

Cool stuff in general. I'm curious to hear more!

Yeah, I've seen/heard clips of the 5153's live too. I went to a show a few months ago, it was Marshall's(as well as a year prior) Peavey XXX well before that. Likely has alot to do with what backline is rented/available.

I can possibly get in touch,with Jay Ruston and find out a bit more, but I doubt he'd share his secrets for the album tone. According to Russ it was all Marshall(first album anyway) but who knows haha...

How I ironic I was watching Fight's "Into The Pit" this weekend,Russ with his real hair lol

Russ is a great guitar player saw him perform when he was doing the Atomic punks stuff. I do have to say the name Satchel is a little over the top, to bubble gum for me but it's working for him and I guess that's all that counts.

I think "over the top" is exactly what Steel Panther is all about ;)

But why "bubble gum"? Just curious. I thought it was a reference to "satch" and the word for a fashion accesoire at the same time...

I think "over the top" is exactly what Steel Panther is all about ;)

But why "bubble gum"? Just curious. I thought it was a reference to "satch" and the word for a fashion accesoire at the same time...

Humm, I wasn't looking at from that perspective. I thought the word Satchel was referring to something else as in "sack", playing on the overly indulgent mid 80's hair band look getting all the groupies thing which looking back on it all was very bubble gum.

It was guys like Van Halen that drew me to the guitar. While I later learned to appreciate more sophisticated players like Metheny and Scofield, I'll never deny that at heart I am lead guitar player in a band like Steel Panther. While there music can have a limiting vocabulary, these limits yield intensity. The most powerful music isn't always the most complex.

Satchel has taken every lead guitar player stereotype and run with it. I think his tone and guitar work can hang with any of the rock gods. SP is everything we love about cheesy rock music. In fact, I think it's rock on steroids.

All he needs is an Axe.

Back
Top Bottom