Steel drum sound

Roland

Experienced
There is a particular song, Happy Birthday by Altered Images, which starts with a steel drum sound. if I can get close to that with the AFX then I can leave the guitar synth at home. I'm guessing that Ring Modulator and an enveloped Synth sine wave will get me close. Has anyone tried this?

There's a steel drum simul. somewhere in Smilefan's presets.

Well, that's amazing service. Thank you.

The original patch is too much steel, and not enough drum for what I need, but that was soon tamed.

GR33 bites the dust as far as the current set list is concerned.

Hey man, just a FYI - that sounds more like a kalimba (bought one for my gf recently LOL) than any steel drum - I also know because I come from the land of steel drums - we call them steel pans here - VERY VERY different sound. Here's a rundown of them both -
Steelpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thumb piano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might find more luck in getting those kalimba type sounds from sine waves in the synth block more than any other 'buzzy' wave.

That's true, and I've been playing with synth sine wave and an ADSR alongside the steel drums. I don't want a 100% simulation of the original sound. That was dated to the 80s, and a little dull for my ears. Previously, with a GR33 guitar synth, I'd been mixing in steel drums with the original to give it more of a summer holiday feel. The drums also cut through better than the original, and get the audience's attention in a crowded bar.

Back
Top Bottom