Stealing power from the FASLINK port

gdgross

Experienced
On the FASLINK xlr connector, I measure ~50ohms from pin 1 to case ground (chassis pin on power input terminal), and about 12V between pin 2 and pin 1. (Strangely, the USB and SPDIF connectors don't measure a short to chassis ground....perhaps there's a fully isolated power supply inside or something, but that's neither here nor there...)

I'd like to use this presumed 12V supply to run a couple of external MIDI switches. Thinking about either disaster area or midi expression, not sure yet. I can always regulate down if one of them can only accept a lower voltage.

Has anyone done this? I assume it's not authorized by FAS. Or, can anyone confirm the power pins on the FASLINK connector?

FAS should make a power cable adapter so people didn't have to do it illicitly - that's a valuable resource, and if you're not using it for the FC6 or 12, why not use it for other stuff?

Caveat: I have neither the authority nor the information to make an official call on this. There's are just random thoughts.

There may or may not be enough current available to do what you want, and doing it may or may not interfere with the operation of either device. Make sure you know how signals are impressed upon/coexist with power. Also, signal ground, power ground, and chassis ground aren't necessarily the same thing.

OP, seems like a risky move to avoid using a $10 power supply. You are already running AC power to the back, plus a cable to connect the audio, whats another plug or power strip?

It's an interesting proposition, but I'm with chrisjnyc on the risk factor. I just ordered this from Amazon so I can easily run an extension cord with multiple outlets near the FM3:

Amazon product ASIN B000AJM27A31XK6i6VWRL._AC_SX425_.jpg
It's not sexy, but I think it'll do the trick!

Here is another idea. I bought one to mount on my board. The FM3 will plug into one of the outlets via short cable. The other plug is free for whatever I may need it for. Then the main power connection plugs into this:

Amazon product ASIN B0753CDTHC

Another option that would probably work well also.
Amazon product ASIN B0094BC32Y

I also bought a very long IEC cable (if tha tis what they are called) so it's a simple run from FM3 board to power.

Last edited:
OP, seems like a risky move to avoid using a $10 power supply. You are already running AC power to the back, plus a cable to connect the audio, whats another plug or power strip?
It's an interesting proposition, but I'm with chrisjnyc on the risk factor. I just ordered this from Amazon so I can easily run an extension cord with multiple outlets near the FM3:

Amazon product ASIN B000AJM27AView attachment 67631
It's not sexy, but I think it'll do the trick!
Here is another idea. I bought one to mount on my board. The FM3 will plug into one of the outlets via short cable. The other plug is free for whatever I may need it for. Then the main power connection plugs into this:

Amazon product ASIN B0753CDTHC

Another option that would probably work well also.
Amazon product ASIN B0094BC32Y

I also bought a very long IEC cable (if tha tis what they are called) so it's a simple run from FM3 board to power.

You guys are forgetting that there is no AC power requirement to the first board. Its powered through the FASLINK XLR cable.

EDIT: Just realized I posted this in a FM3 thread. My apologies fellas. Disregard my comment. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom