"Static Resoanaces"

Well he has a point and you should definitely try what he is suggesting when making a mix.
I myself haven't been using a lot of eq on my guitars lalely because of the IR's I'm using.
It's best for me to find an IR that already has pleasing frequencies.
I try to aim at making the sounds I record as 'mix-ready' as possible before I record.
Then during the Mixing process I like to use low and high-pass filters and sometimes a gentle and wide mid cut to give the drums some space.
Find a great IR, tweak your patch around it and you may not have to add too much eq.
With high gain sounds for instance I like to use kind of scooped/hi fi IR's instead of middy/boxy cab sounds.
If there is too much (low)mid I have too dial it down too much and then you can quickly lose a big part of the tonal character of that cab/IR.
Hope this helps.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my post. I have no problem EQ-ing guitars for a mix or creating a great tone. I was specifically interested in the "shhhhh" noise that he refers to. I use subtractive EQ, by boosting the suspect frequencies first and taking them out, like he does in his video anyway.

The first thing that caught my eye is that he's removing the speaker cabinet thump. Cliff is trying to get that in with the new UR IRs, and this guy takes it back out. :lol

The first thing that caught my eye is that he's removing the speaker cabinet thump. Cliff is trying to get that in with the new UR IRs, and this guy takes it back out. :lol

You are absolutely right, however.... this guy is EQ-ing for a mix, not a live context. Cliff would probably EQ out the thump in a recording like you would a real amp etc.

I love that album. Marco Sfogli and Matt Guillory's playing is so tasty... oh sorry, that was something else. Carry on ;)

Back
Top Bottom