Static recording quality with Axe-Fx III [SOLVED]

I've been using Pro Tools for over 20 years, and I know that PT does not work well (often not at all) recording to the same drive as the system is installed on, whether or not it's partitioned. These are symptoms I've seen when not recording to a separate drive. Not sure about other DAWs, but I know for a fact that Pro Tools behaves this way.

Having said that, the new SSD drives seem to have more success in being able to record to the same drive.

This may or may not be the problem, but I thought it worth a mention.
Absolutely this. I do not record to my main Mac drive; I have 2 Glyph external HDDs that I use - one for recording, the other for backing up the recording drive.

Thanks all for the insights. I used a complete Pro Tools III system for over 15 years and recorded to a separate external Lacie drive. Great system!! Now an ancient system with all its scsi protocols.

What baffles me though is that with my iMac and GarageBand ...recording with my AxeII was fine.

Not so with the AxeIII. It may be as others suggested cpu overload.

Since then I’ve partitioned my iMac 🖥 and used 1 portion for the operating system and the other allocated for recording ...this may be part of the issue along with cpu overload

I’m still working on it.

I’m going to try recording to an external drive and see how that goes before I do a reinstall of the whole system again

In Audacity preferences, there is a "Quality" setting ...and can be set to 48 Hz

Also in the track settings ...I've tried various settings with the same results...glitching.

here's a sample of clean and hi gain:

hmm that doesn't sound like buffer issue to me? though i haven't had a buffer issue in a long, long time maybe i forgot.

anyone else?

I've been using Pro Tools for over 20 years, and I know that PT does not work well (often not at all) recording to the same drive as the system is installed on, whether or not it's partitioned. These are symptoms I've seen when not recording to a separate drive. Not sure about other DAWs, but I know for a fact that Pro Tools behaves this way.

Having said that, the new SSD drives seem to have more success in being able to record to the same drive.

This may or may not be the problem, but I thought it worth a mention.
I use PT on a laptop with a 5400rpm HDD and record 16 tracks to the the only disk (with the OS) on a weekly basis with no issues...

I know that's not recommended, but maybe that's just me.

Ok....here’s the update ....RESOLVED!! Thank goodness!!

The culprit was the long usb cable! Confirmed!! ...I did several change outs to confirm.

Recordings are pristine on all the partitioned drives on the iMac.

Thanks a lot for all the great tips and responses!

I use PT on a laptop with a 5400rpm HDD and record 16 tracks to the the only disk (with the OS) on a weekly basis with no issues...

I know that's not recommended, but maybe that's just me.

Whilst there may be no 'issues', you most certainly aren't getting the best performance possible out of Pro Tools.....there's 20 years of posts on the Avid forum to confirm this fact.

The biggest performance improvement I noticed, after upgrading to better CPU, RAM etc, was moving to an SSD drive, playback was less jittery. I guarantee you'd notice a huge difference moving from HDD (especially 5400rpm) to SSD. ;)

Whilst there may be no 'issues', you most certainly aren't getting the best performance possible out of Pro Tools.....there's 20 years of posts on the Avid forum to confirm this fact.

The biggest performance improvement I noticed, after upgrading to better CPU, RAM etc, was moving to an SSD drive, playback was less jittery. I guarantee you'd notice a huge difference moving from HDD (especially 5400rpm) to SSD. ;)
Probably... But I don't seek solutions to problems I don't have.

Since things work without issue I'll proceed as-is until I need to. And then I can just offload to external drive.

Back
Top Bottom