Startling discovery... for me at least...

hopefully people will believe it now.

yes - I never claimed I didn't believe anyone after my original post - Only that I thought I discovered something with my own ears. After much experimentation last night, I now understand what I was hearing and understand why I was hearing it. This only helps me to create better sounding patches. This is why I posted - hoping to get feedback to help me learn more. Mission accomplished ! And I thank those with constructive comments. :encouragement:

yes - I never claimed I didn't believe anyone after my original post - Only that I thought I discovered something with my own ears. After much experimentation last night, I now understand what I was hearing and understand why I was hearing it. This only helps me to create better sounding patches. This is why I posted - hoping to get feedback to help me learn more. Mission accomplished ! And I thank those with constructive comments. :encouragement:
Well said. Class act. The axe fx is a pre amp/fx processor/learning experience.

yes - I never claimed I didn't believe anyone after my original post

Yup! Sorry, posting generalities on forums lead to confusion and I never meant specifically you. This question has been asked so many times over the years though, and it's rare for people to digest the information as you did.

It's all about learning, which means that we sometimes have to admit we didn't know things before. That's tough for some.

Yup! Sorry, posting generalities on forums lead to confusion and I never meant specifically you. This question has been asked so many times over the years though, and it's rare for people to digest the information as you did.

It's all about learning, which means that we sometimes have to admit we didn't know things before. That's tough for some.

Agreed - for me the Axe fx is a lot like life - a journey to be experienced, and lessons learned. I'm ALWAYS open to new ideas. I'm not an electrical engineer - I know very little about the inner workings of the unit, but I can listen to people who are way more experienced than I am and learn from it. I've learned a lot form your videos Chris, and I appreciate you, and people like you who make this forum a better, more constructive place for people to learn. Cheers !

I've been running a reverb and a plex detune multi delay in parallel with mixes at 100 percent, then adjusting the output (usually -12 db.) It smooths it out and gives you more of a synth sound aka strymon big sky.

What I heard blew me away - I don't understand why - all I know is it sounds more amazing than I could have thought it could have. From the lowest gain - to the highest gain amp - it didn't matter what I tried, every amp sounded like I thought it should.

digging through the graveyard again, it's phase cancellation and comb filtering that's effectively acting as automatic natural equalization on the IR. when it gets run in parallel it's true stereo, and the reverb crashes into the dry and phase cancels / comb filters in a pleasing (natural) way when it gets mixed back in to the dry. don't know why it hasn't become more of a big deal, the effect on the sound has been the last missing piece to reality for me, everything sounds right. glad it's not just me. i'll probably get banned now for talking about it anymore, so i'll go back to plodding along with the masses. Funny thing, my comb filters stopped working today. All of them. that's weird. :nomouth:

Last edited:
digging through the graveyard again, it's phase cancellation and comb filtering that's effectively acting as automatic natural equalization on the IR. when it gets run in parallel it's true stereo, and the reverb crashes into the dry and phase cancels / comb filters in a pleasing (natural) way when it gets mixed back in to the dry. don't know why it hasn't become more of a big deal, the effect on the sound has been the last missing piece to reality for me, everything sounds right. glad it's not just me. i'll probably get banned now for talking about it anymore, so i'll go back to plodding along with the masses. Funny thing, my comb filters stopped working today. All of them. that's weird. :nomouth:
Wrong. It is just louder... Did you read this thread beyond the first few replies?

Would you you please, please STOP digging up old threads and posting nonsense about phasing and comb filtering? It's getting really old... And it's misleading to new-comers and the less experienced.

Back
Top Bottom