Startling discovery... for me at least...

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
So - many of you probably are aware of this already - but for me it was an epiphany.
In creating my patch from scratch - which usually just starts with an amp and a small amount of reverb, I have discovered that putting the reverb block in parallel with the amp ( i have been putting it at the end of the "chain"), completely and totally "opens" up the amp - no matter what amp I tried and using the smallest amount of almost undetectable reverb ! What I heard blew me away - I don't understand why - all I know is it sounds more amazing than I could have thought it could have. From the lowest gain - to the highest gain amp - it didn't matter what I tried, every amp sounded like I thought it should. I don't know if this is a trick that everyone knows or not, but I thought I might share it with anyone who might be having trouble finding that special tone. FYI - i don't use the cab block as I go through a matrix into a 2X12 with EV 12L's. I haven't tried it though my monitors. :encouragement:

So - many of you probably are aware of this already - but for me it was an epiphany.
In creating my patch from scratch - which usually just starts with an amp and a small amount of reverb, I have discovered that putting the reverb block in parallel with the amp ( i have been putting it at the end of the "chain"), completely and totally "opens" up the amp - no matter what amp I tried and using the smallest amount of almost undetectable reverb ! What I heard blew me away - I don't understand why - all I know is it sounds more amazing than I could have thought it could have. From the lowest gain - to the highest gain amp - it didn't matter what I tried, every amp sounded like I thought it should. I don't know if this is a trick that everyone knows or not, but I thought I might share it with anyone who might be having trouble finding that special tone. FYI - i don't use the cab block as I go through a matrix into a 2X12 with EV 12L's. I haven't tried it though my monitors. :encouragement:

So the reverb is seeing your clean guitar signal? and then you're combining that and the amp tone after the fact?

Lol, that's one of those things I noticed in a Cooper Carter vid (whose vids I love BTW - solo a week too), he never really explained it, but did say it was important to the preset he built and that he would say why later. (But I think Cooper was using cab blocks, as am I.) My question is, with nothing on the 2nd row but a parallel reverb, (from the amp block) is it different, assuming u adjust levels to accomplish the same dry to fx ratio? It would be the same, right?

Glad u found something simple like this that works!

If it's just the reverb in parallel it should be the same as adjusting the mix control of the reverb, but 6db louder...
When you start dividing the signal there is a general boost of 6db, are you sure that this is not what gave you the impression it was better? Cuz it's louder? Or maybe you just like less reverb mixed into it?

EDIT : Right you actually mean your clean sound into the reverb...
I remember when mixing I used to sometimes use a little of the clean DI signal it would give a high gain amp a more open/understandable/note seperation kinda sound. That might be what you are describing.
I tried it on the axefx to try replicate my sounds just like on the album but i thought it was an unnecessary complication, as my presets where mostly quite complicated so I didn't try since.

Glad it works for you!

Last edited:
My question is, with nothing on the 2nd row but a parallel reverb, (from the amp block) is it different, assuming u adjust levels to accomplish the same dry to fx ratio? It would be the same, right?

Can you post screenshots of these 2 routings? I'm not sure what you mean by "a parallel reverb, (from the amp block)".

Did the signal go through the amp block on its way to the reverb block? That's the main thing to determine.

I would think you are correct... this *should* be identical to setting the reverb mix differently, perhaps with different overall gain settings. Can anyone shed some light on why this might not be the case?

I would think you are correct... this *should* be identical to setting the reverb mix differently, perhaps with different overall gain settings. Can anyone shed some light on why this might not be the case?

when we don't know about it, louder usually sounds better, fuller, richer, etc.

There is a lot of confusion on this thread.
What I understood from the OP is that he has his normal signal chain (1 row). Now instead of putting a reverb block at the end of that chain, the reverb block is now sitting parallel to (i.e. above) the amp block. So the reverb is hearing his dry, non-amplified guitar signal. He didn't say what amount of mix is in the reverb block. It sounds interesting.

There is a lot of confusion on this thread.
What I understood from the OP is that he has his normal signal chain (1 row). Now instead of putting a reverb block at the end of that chain, the reverb block is now sitting parallel to (i.e. above) the amp block. So the reverb is hearing his dry, non-amplified guitar signal. He didn't say what amount of mix is in the reverb block. It sounds interesting.

yeah that's what i got

the only time i dive into parallel processing with reverb is when ive got delays and other modulation going on that i dont wanna muddy up. hell of a trick though

so I'm not sure if my screen shot worked.... But this is what I'm doing - very simple - yes - it may be a bit louder - however, to my ears at least, its not just volume - if i take out the reverb - or make in in series directly after the amp - it definitely does not sound the same. To my ears, in this configuration, all the characteristics of the amp sound better, clearer, more defined... If the screen shot didn't work, I will try again.

/Users/jimpusso/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.23.55 PM.png

Screen shot didn't work. When posting click the "Go Advanced" button. Choose "Manage Attachments". Note that .png files are not supported.

Back
Top Bottom