Starting To Understand The EQ a bit more

fox5150

Inspired
I've been meaning to do this for ages, but I finally got round to recording myself along with a guitar backing track for "Rio" by Duran Duran. I know this song really well as it's a staple with my band Total80s. I downloaded the track from Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com, stripped out the guitar parts and dropped it into Reaper. I setup a quick patch using the Friedman BE, with some chorus, reverb and delay and it sounded excellent - or so I thought...

So, I record into Reaper, playing along with the backing track all pleased with myself. Once finished, I have a listen and the guitar is competing with the bass too much and isn't really "in the mix" as it were. So I decided to have a play with the EQ within Reaper so I can hear exactly what happens when I cut this and boost that. I loaded up the VST: ReaEQ FX block and have a look at the plot of frequencies. Interestingly, there's loads of activity sub 200Hz and not much above about 8kHz, and this is with a cut in the CAB block at around 70Hz.

Remembering something I'd seen in a Pete Thorn video, I put a Low Shelf in at 200Hz. Result is that the low end is much cleaner and not getting in the way of that glorious bass riff. It still sounded a little flat and not really that present - if that makes sense. I've paid lots of attention to any "How best to EQ for FRFR" and "How to Warm up the sound" type threads and so, I tried boosting a little around 1kHz and it started to pop nicely.

It's all very well me spouting words, but to see if I'm on the right track, I thought I might as well upload two samples; one with the EQ and one without. My poor ADSL upload wasn't that keen on the WAV files, so these are 320kbps MP3's.

Rio - without EQ:

Rio - with EQ:

I've still got so much to learn, but this little exercise really helped me how using the EQ can help you sit properly within the mix.

Simon

Not having an Axe II, it sounds great. the first un-eq'd track is a much thicker sound, but your right over steps the bass in the mix. the second does sit well with the mix, but I think it could shine a bit more with a touch more high end clarity. just my opinion...i'm just a weekend warrior guy...no mixing knowledge here.

Thanks for having a listen!

What I'm trying to do is figure out how best to get what I think sounds good translating into sounding good with the band. As soon as I listened to the 'without EQ' track back, I realised just how badly setup that patch was; the frustrating thing is that I thought the patch sounded amazing...

I have absolutely no experience in mixing anything, just trying to understand how to get a guitar to sit better in a live sound without needing the whole band.

Back
Top Bottom