Starting from scratch

firmani99

Inspired
So I've had my XL+ for a year and a half. While I am still learning, I have pretty much gotten the hang of it. I have created so many presets as I've "grown" into the axe fx that I am in the 400's preset wise and I have to keep my MFC unplugged or it will start on a random preset.

It is almost comical to go back to my early ones and see what I thought sounded good.

What is the best way to factory default the Axe? I just want to start from scratch. Should I load the latest firmware before or after I do it? Also where do you guys start your presets? Do you start at 1 and erase the factory ones or do you start where they stop?
Thanks!

Install latest firmware, install latest factory presets. Then create some sort of basic patch that contains the stuff you mostly use and use that as a template so you don't have to do a new one every time.

1. Backup everything via Fractal-Bot
  2. From front panel UTILITY menu...
    1. STRIP ALL GLOBAL DATA
    2. ERASE ALL PRESETS
    3. ERASE ALL CABS
  3. Install latest Firmware (Q7 final when available will be a great choice)
  4. Use Fractal-Bot to transfer over the latest factory presets (available from the main fractal page in the downloads section)

Robert's your father's brother, full "factory" reset

Also if you find you don't use the factory presets much I'd recommend sending them to a higher bank on the Axe. MFC101 can only access presets bellow 384. I leave the banks A-C for my preferred stuff and keep anything less used up in the banks D-F range

Warning this resets controller assignments, pedal calibration, the works.

1. Load the firmware.
2. Front panel Utility -> Reset -> Reset System Params, Enter, Enter
3. Load the factory presets

I don't bother with clearing out user cabs. I don't see the need as I would just want to reload some anyway.

So I've had my XL+ for a year and a half. While I am still learning, I have pretty much gotten the hang of it. I have created so many presets as I've "grown" into the axe fx that I am in the 400's preset wise and I have to keep my MFC unplugged or it will start on a random preset.

It is almost comical to go back to my early ones and see what I thought sounded good.

What is the best way to factory default the Axe? I just want to start from scratch. Should I load the latest firmware before or after I do it? Also where do you guys start your presets? Do you start at 1 and erase the factory ones or do you start where they stop?
Thanks!

Here's what I do: I use bank A for templates (pretty much all bank A factory presets with a little tweak here and there) and then have all my live patches in banks B and C. This way, I can always audition different amps in bank A to find the core tone, and then I add fx and store in banks B and C for live use.

Back
Top Bottom