AFIII Star Stuff by chrisAngela

ChrisAngela1

Inspired
When I first heard Carl Sagan say "we're made of star stuff, the raw materials that constitute our physical bodies were forged in the bellies of distant, long-extinguished stars", it made an impression to say the least.

This particular song started when I was playing around with a few synths in some of the plug-ins I use in Ableton, namely Omnisphere and Trilian (both produced by Spectrasonics), looking for some inspiration. I eventually found the sequenced synth in the beginning which is a Native Instruments plug-in version of the classic ARP 2600.

Though a guitarist, I've always been fascinated/envious of the wall of sound a good keyboardist can produce (my introduction to this was Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, etc). Having a Roland mini-synth connected to Ableton and recording either direct audio or by playing via MIDI and the plug-ins has enabled me to at least bring a little of my inner keyboardist out! I will also on occasion run the Roland thru the Axe Fx to get some pretty awesome effects (delays, reverbs, flanges, etc), works quite well.

For guitars on this, I used mostly the Ibanez JS2450, at the time my all around go too guitar. Preset wise it was the Austin Buddy JVM410HJS(Satch1), I like that guitar/preset combo. All around song layer wise, it was 11 guitar tracks, 6 synth tracks, 4 drum tracks, and 3 bass synth tracks...

I intentionally tried to start simple with the synth hook building gradually to the arpeggio runs and heavier rhythms in the end. The video, starting at 2:45 is essentially the Big Bang in reverse. If that's too annoying/distracting, the SoundCloud link is attached as well:)

Cheers

We are stardust
We are golden
We are billion year old carbon
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden...

Joni Mitchell (interpreted by CSNY, her original lyrics are slightly different)

Nice stuff, man. Good work!

Back
Top Bottom