Stanley Clarke Fans - Any interesting bass presets?

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I'm going to be doing some bass work on some Stanley tunes.
Anyone have some bass presets that are worthy of this bass legend?

Are you talking upright or electric? That Alembic tone will be hard to clone with anything except an Alembic (maybe a Wal). The filter based pre in those is quite uniquely voiced.
Another major component of his tone are the BassIQ and LDP pedals. Neither of these are in the AxeFx of course, and I've yet to find anything that really mimics them either.

But, you should at least be able to get in the ball park :)

Don't think you will get a Stanley Clarke tone from any amp block. Think he uses EBS stuff. But that doesn't matter. His tone is for 80% in his fingers and for 20% in his Alembic.

The only amp block I would use for this fusion/funk type of tone is the FAS bass or tube Pre. Rest is too muddy.

I'm liking Subdude's preset (check out his post here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-bass-preset-collection-project.70654/page-3#post-929763) and user cab combo. All the other bass presets in that discussion didn't have enough clarity/high end. I've got an Alembic Series I and this preset and the Alembic give me the classic Stanley Clarke Alembic tone. Not sure how close you will get depending on your bass' electronics and range. Active electronics will help a lot. I'm playing through stereo Atomic CLRs and the PA.

I'm liking Subdude's preset (check out his post here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-bass-preset-collection-project.70654/page-3#post-929763) and user cab combo. All the other bass presets in that discussion didn't have enough clarity/high end. I've got an Alembic Series I and this preset and the Alembic give me the classic Stanley Clarke Alembic tone.

Just tried that preset you mention and to me it sounds nothing like Stanley Clarke. Sounds like a very distorted guitar tone on all scenes. For the SC stuff you need a clean sound. For me it works the best for getting a good clear bass sound when you only use the Tube pre amp block no cab at all. For SC stuff that Alembic bass is essential. Most presets you find here are geared towards rock or drives bass tones not the fusion funk bass stuff unfortunately.

Also the bass cabs in the Axe fx are way to boomy for a good bass tone to me. Just tried again an SVT cabs from the Axe after giving up on them. But again I find them not usable with way to much sub frequenties.

Last edited:
Just tried that preset you mention and to me it sounds nothing like Stanley Clarke. Sounds like a very distorted guitar tone on all scenes. For the SC stuff you need a clean sound. For me it works the best for getting a good clear bass sound when you only use the Tube pre amp block no cab at all. For SC stuff that Alembic bass is essential. Most presets you find here are geared towards rock or drives bass tones not the fusion funk bass stuff unfortunately.

Also the bass cabs in the Axe fx are way to boomy for a good bass tone to me. Just tried again an SVT cabs from the Axe after giving up on them. But again I find them not usable with way to much sub frequenties.

Not my experience at all with this preset. Totally agree on most of the bass presets and cabs being rock/overdriven. I don't like any of those. I'll try to put up a clip today. Did you also use his tonematched Cab?

Here's a clip of the SubDude's Swell SVP 1.0 bass preset using his tonematched User Cab - accessible at the link in my earlier post, and my current home setup using stereo Atomic CLRs. I recorded straight from the Axe FX USB audio into my computer (Sonic Forge). No problems with clarity or distortion/overdrive here. I play guitar with my band, and just started working on bass a few months ago after a 30 year hiatus. Sorry for the clams, but hopefully you'll get a good idea of what the Axe and an Alembic can do.

Back
Top Bottom