Standard vs. Ultra - delay block difference - Diffusion

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
wow, I wasn't even aware of this one.
the Standard doesn't have the Diffusion parameters in the delay block.
Even for someone who claims that he doesn't need all the 'fancy' extra-fx the Ultra offers, this could matter.
The Diffusion amount/length are quite crucial parameters for how the trails of a delay sound/feel. I woudn't want to miss them.

That's true. I have a Standard and I miss it sometimes. I try to work around it by placing a reverb behind it to treat the delayed signal. The reverb block does have a diffusion parameter on the Standard.

right.
the irony being that you're using a lot more CPU (additional reverb block and send/return blocks if you want to treat the delays only) on the machine with less power. :)
also, if the diffusion parameter is set 'right' (~1-10%) it does that organic, in between reverb and delay thing. To my ears it's a very pleasant spring reverb like tone, it's subtle, but if compressed (and what track doesn't get compressed in the mix these days) it gives audible depth.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome... Always imparting little nuggets of knowledge... You, yek, Scott, jay... Thank you !

the irony being that you're using a lot more CPU (additional reverb block and send/return blocks if you want to treat the delays only) on the machine with less power.
I get the extra CPU for the reverb, but why do you need the send/return? Why not sidechain the delay, process it with reverb, and let the output mixer blend it with the dry signal?

without the send return setup each delay will have the exact same reverb added to it.
In a send/return setup (you use the return level instead of delay feedback) a delay will get 'wetter' the more often it repeats.

Do you mean you're feeding the reverbed delay signal back into the delay?

Man .. I feel lucky to have an Ultra just for the diffusion parameter and the gate/exp bloc :d

Last edited:
Do you mean you're feeding the reverbed delay signal back into the delay?

I would be, if I didn't have an Ultra with the diffusion parameter. ;)

with the diffusion parameter up, the delays get more and more 'reverbed', so a send-return setup recreates this behaviour much better than just a straight delay -> reverb chain, where every delay has the exact same amount of reverb on it.

I would be, if I didn't have an Ultra with the diffusion parameter. ;)

with the diffusion parameter up, the delays get more and more 'reverbed', so a send-return setup recreates this behaviour much better than just a straight delay -> reverb chain, where every delay has the exact same amount of reverb on it.

It is similar ideas like this one that always makes me wonder why there isn´t more send/return blocks... one would i e be able to do many Lexicon Vortex (and beyond) setups.
I don´t have the Vortex, but I admit that I´m that übergeeky that I have been analyzing the schemes in the manual... : D

Still aiming to dig in onto some cloning (based on those schemes)... some day...

/Mike

I had a Vortex some time ago. A fun piece of gear, but nothing stellar like the Axe.
Most Axe blocks where it makes sense, have a feedback parameter, although sometimes it's called resonance.
And the Vortex was a complete nightmare to programm. ;)

This is something that has bugged me for some time, as a Standard owner, wondering why the diffusion parameters are missing from the delay block. I can add a reverb (with diffusion) and not exceed the CPU, so why is it not possible to have it in the delay block anyway? Seems odd to me that standard owners need to do this workaround. would love to have the reason explained....

Back
Top Bottom