Standard/Ultra firmware 11

Man, the master volume seems to taken on a new personality. lol Cranking it to around 2o'clockish with some high gain amps(Modern, Das Metal, 5150 etc) really makes the amps sing. :)

This sucks. Now I can't even update the firmware to 11. Tried 4 or 5 times with the Saffire Pro 24 and Bome's. Anyone else?

Firmware 11.0 sounds amazing!! I agree with most comments so far:
* Low end is tight and well defined, amps have more punch
* Highs are sweeter and more natural sounding
* Master volume control has a wider sweet spot on the amp models I've tried so far
* Amps feel more responsive

I haven't been at this long (4 weeks) so my approach to building patches is still pretty simple. I have been using the amp and cab block parameters to shape the amps sound exclusively so far - no filters, or EQ's used yet. I've taken this approach to learn as much as I can about the potential within these blocks before I add any filtering to the signal chain. The new firmware seems to have both broadened the useful range of many of the amp block parameters and simplified the process of dialing in the desired results within the amp block. Whatever it was that changed for v.11.0 I like it - a whole lot!!

Thanks again Cliff! :)

I agree with all, much better highs and lows. With my Marsha pre sets I added some mids then a bit more bass that were both previously removed due to flub and shrill,..now gone with a much tighter over all tone!

Spent an hour tonight with v11 on my Ultra. Comments:
- I think I'm hearing a little more definition at low / high end.
- My patches seem to sing a bit more with somewhat improved sustain.
- I have a patch which uses Phaser before a cruchy amp block (forget which one) - I find the interaction between the phaser and amp to be greatly improved - sounds much more musical than what I recall in v10.

Hi guys. Trying to get a copy of the v11 firmware but I seems like the doc folder is not showing it. Could someone forward me a copy? Thanks.

Personally, I feel it made some of my raw brutal sounding patches a tad bit too warm. I dialed in a brutal sounding patch ala Exodus 'Tempo of the damned' type tone and after upgrading to 11, it sounds like a regular warm/dark patch. I also noticed some high mids missing. So, i went back to 10.05. :)

IMHO, YMMV, etc. :D

Did some quick testing last night. There's a noticeable (but not revolutionary) improvement from 10.x. I'm hearing the difference easiest with my single coil (Tele, Strat) guitars. High end harshness is not totally gone, but it's definitely decreased and my band patches sound better than before with no tweaking. In some clean patches I feel overall improvement, increased realism, but I'm not sure where it comes, maybe it's a placebo effect. Also, with clean sounds, I'm quite sure there's increased attack which makes some of my Telecaster twang sounds even more "spanky" - GREAT!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a Verve 8ma or similar how the sound has changed after installing firmware 11.

I feel that the sound has changed, but if anything, I am detecting less bottom end. Perhaps it is my preset, but I am not sure.

Funny thought: What if this is a belated April Fools joke by Cliff, and firmware 11 DOESN'T change the sound at all. I keep waiting for him to post here saying "See!!! Placebo!!!... This proves it..." :)

This sucks. Now I can't even update the firmware to 11. Tried 4 or 5 times with the Saffire Pro 24 and Bome's. Anyone else?

I had the same problem with the Saffire Pro 24. Badchecksum all over the place. I ended up using a M-Audio usb interface, but only with Sysex librarian. I don't know why the Saffire didn't work at all and why the M-Audio usb thing didn't work in Axe-Edit. I think my computer may be having problems. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.7.

I've just loaded FW 11 and.....Wow! The bottom end is much nicer than FW 10.x

With the new FW things really do go to '11'.....(groan) :lol

It's really obvious to me. I don't have to worry about the 7-8k region AT ALL anymore . I can do everything with just the amp controls now. Fantastic!

This is exactly what I found...and exactly why I was able to remove the PEQ from a bunch of my presets.

Man, the master volume seems to taken on a new personality. lol Cranking it to around 2o'clockish with some high gain amps(Modern, Das Metal, 5150 etc) really makes the amps sing. :)

Try going a little higher even. I've got the MV on the USA Lead 2 model at 3 o'clock and it's super duper sweet and brings out the harmonics.

Another thing I noticed is the Thump and Warmth controls are more musical. I used to leave them off completely because I didn't like the way they sounded, but now I find my patches get a little "sweeter" sounding with the thump and warmth on a bit.

On the outside it may not look like much

That's what I thought the first time I saw Eric Johnson walk on stage too. Then he started playing. ;)

I love what V11 has done. When I saw the release notes I was more then thrilled because I knew that while it was a 1-liner, it was going to be an awesome update for those of us using the G1 modeling direct (which I do every week). So it may be a small description, but it's a big sound and, IMO, worthy of a version number change (from 10 to 11). Very nice work Cliff. 8)

I spent some time with v.11 last night and was more and more impressed as the night went on and I worked with it. The low end has clarity for lack of a better definition. I sure there are differences throughout but the low end is where it really cleaned things up. Which in turn made the high end have a little more polish. The rework I have done with my patches have been removing PEQ or filter blocks in some cases. I would love an Axe II for all the features and ease of use with some things but the current Axe is no slouch and still beats everything else out there.

I had the same problem with the Saffire Pro 24. Badchecksum all over the place. I ended up using a M-Audio usb interface, but only with Sysex librarian. I don't know why the Saffire didn't work at all and why the M-Audio usb thing didn't work in Axe-Edit. I think my computer may be having problems. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.7.

Well, I finally got it updated by digging out my old Edirol UM2 and using Axe Edit. I did upgrade from 10.3 to 10.5 with the Saffire but it was weird. It told me then, when it finished that it couldn't update the firmware because the version was the same. But when I looked, it did in fact go to 10.5.

I guess I'll just keep the Edirol plugged in.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a Verve 8ma or similar how the sound has changed after installing firmware 11.

I have a Verve 12ma and tried the patch through it. Like I said a few posts earlier, FW11 makes all my patches too dark. yes, the bottom-end is tighter but I seem to lose a lot of highs and high-mids. So, I went back to 10.05 which remove the 'pop' sound when switching back and forth from the Uber model.

I have a Verve 12ma and tried the patch through it. Like I said a few posts earlier, FW11 makes all my patches too dark. yes, the bottom-end is tighter but I seem to lose a lot of highs and high-mids.

Did you make any adjustments after the upgrade? I'm just curious if some tweaking of the EQ parms, high cut, high res, damp, etc would compensate.

Back
Top Bottom