Standard or Wedge Atomic FR?

North

Inspired
Hello,

I´m planning to buy two of either. For those of you who have used both, are there any sound differences to speak of? For situations where the wedge need to be used behind me, I guess I can put it on its side like Dweezil Zappa does.

Thanks for any input!

Go for the wedge simply for the fact you can't set the standard cab on it's side and use it as monitor. Sound wise there's no real difference to speak of.

I would go wedge as well....because you can also flip it upside down and it sits like the standard cab (and sounds fine, I tried it).

I would think putting the wedge on its side or upside down so that one entire surface of it is on the floor would muddy the sound up, wouldn't it? That's why both the cab and wedge have feet, right?

RCSea said:
I would think putting the wedge on its side or upside down so that one entire surface of it is on the floor would muddy the sound up, wouldn't it? That's why both the cab and wedge have feet, right?

Not necessarily... All that really does is to create ground coupling to enhance the low end somewhat. The 3/4" of space that the feet provide are not going to make that big of a difference with that same effect And if it did it's not like you couldn't fix it with a little EQ'ing, it's no different then setting your stereo speakers on the floor... too much bass pull a little out and your good ;) .

The feet are their solely to protect the floor and or the cab from being damaged and to keep the cab from vibrating and sliding around.

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant.

I would get the wedge because if you have the floor space....a wedge projects at your head, and it sounds excellent.

But if you're like me, and sometimes stage space is an issue, you may need to stack your amp on a PA Rack case or something of the sort. I thought about getting the regular amp cabinet because if I stack it on a PA Rack, it's already at chest level, so I don't need the pitch of the wedge. BUT, I found that in that scenario I could flip the Atomic wedge upside down and then it sits like a regular amp, aiming right at my chest.

Short story, the wedge could provide two or three angling options.

(and for the record, the Verve 12ma can be used in the same way. I flip it and put it on my PA rack and it aims at my head. Yes, I get less bass response, but in all honesty I get plenty of low end without it being coupled with the floor.

Back
Top Bottom