Wish Standard Cab block associated with Amp block, or auto Cab matching

Marco C.

Currently adding a cab block defaults it to the first cab available in the cab list (which I never use). would it be possible to have a system default cab block associated with each Amp that “makes sense” to fractal audio people as it would be a standard in reality (for example on all combos pair the amp with the default speaker). Then user might change it as it is now, but in most cases I would keep the standard ....

All would come down to if I agree or disagree with the person(s) who make the decision as to what the "standard" is for a given amp....

If it was a dude who maybe had differing taste than me, say, someone who really loves V30 loaded cabs, while I can't stand V30's, all the defaults would be pretty poor choices in my subjective opinion. Obviously a guy who loves V30's might say "awesome amp/cab pairings right out of the box".

All would come down to if I agree or disagree with the person(s) who make the decision as to what the "standard" is for a given amp....

If it was a dude who maybe had differing taste than me, say, someone who really loves V30 loaded cabs, while I can't stand V30's, all the defaults would be pretty poor choices in my subjective opinion. Obviously a guy who loves V30's might say "awesome amp/cab pairings right out of the box".
All combo amps have a speaker - in reality - they come with, there is little to discuss about their standard.
As to heads, it is better to have a standard cab that many will change and some will keep than a cab that everyone will change.

I think the issue is that the amp is in a different block, and that the flexible routing ststem allows for another block to be placed between them. Not sure how 'aware' the blocks are of the preset they are in....

I think the issue is that the amp is in a different block, and that the flexible routing ststem allows for another block to be placed between them. Not sure how 'aware' the blocks are of the preset they are in....
I thought there could be a parameter in the amp block with the factory default cab associated, that is the starting cab in the cab block, everything else as is. Now it always defaults to Factory 1, a 1 x 4 Pig 57 that does not seem to me suitable for most amps, it is a very specific cab ...

All combo amps have a speaker - in reality - they come with, there is little to discuss about their standard.
As to heads, it is better to have a standard cab that many will change and some will keep than a cab that everyone will change.
But an IR is more than the cab and speaker... The mic (or mics), placement, etc are also there.

But an IR is more than the cab and speaker... The mic (or mics), placement, etc are also there.

Plus how many combos have choices for the speaker you can buy it with, and/or how many cabs have speakers many users swap as the factory speaker choice is generally considered poor....

I’ve honestly lost track of how many times I’ve had this exact argument with people over the years lol.

If someone wants a given users subjective opinion on the “best” pairing for a given amp, I always suggest the Austin Buddy preset pack. He went through and paired every amp with a cab he thinks is “best”, most representative etc.

I had a longer response but the simple answer is "good idea in theory, way too many variables to make it practical."
This.

For instance, more than one amp block, more than one cab block, both if which have multiple channels. And it's fine that a Deluxe comes stock with a (Jenson is it?) 12 in a Deluxe-sized cab, but what's the "standard" mic and position for it?

I like the high level concept, especially since I'm not one of the folks who's used every cab in the world for years and has them all memorized, but I just don't see how it could work in practice.

This.

For instance, more than one amp block, more than one cab block, both if which have multiple channels. And it's fine that a Deluxe comes stock with a (Jenson is it?) 12 in a Deluxe-sized cab, but what's the "standard" mic and position for it?

I like the high level concept, especially since I'm not one of the folks who's used every cab in the world for years and has them all memorized, but I just don't see how it could work in practice.
I still believe there are much better ways than current (which seems to be get first cab in the cab list whatever amp is picked up).
Easiest, as said, would be to have a starting point that has one standard cab associated to each amp. such standard cab for each amp can be changed by each user to his personal preference editing a new standard cab table, which is a simple table with two field: amp and associated cab, 1 record per amp + 1 record for no amp block.
In the cab block we could have a button that says “set to default cab” this looks what amp is in the selected channel of the amp block and gets its associated cab from the said table, that is it. So all system behaviour remains as is except for this new associating table and simple read and set function. I believe many would use this, as well as some will not. Nothing happens if you switch channel in the amp block To a different amp unless you press the ”set to default cab” .

+1 This would definitely make dialing in presets quicker for the average user. It would obviously be difficult to decide what cabinet to default to, given how many variations of each cab there are, but even if it defaulted to the first matching cab on the list, it would at least give the user a starting point. Doesn't Line6 do something similar to this with the Helix?

I’m gonna +1 this.

The AxeFX Wish thread on this topic is kind of a shitshow. The main argument seems to be about which cab to use as the default. I’d say use whatever cab Fractal is dialing in the model with when fine tuning it. Or Cliff and team can select one that is good to them. We trust them to give some default settings in the amp block and other blocks, right? It’s not about picking the “best” IR for every person right? Just a reasonable default.

As for how it might work (UI side), if you insert the cab block then right click it, the context manu could have a “Load Default.” It would be grayed out if no amp is present. The Axe Edit version could have a side arrow with a pop up menu for Amp A and Amp B. I ain’t no programmer so I can’t say what the difficulty would be on that end.

The default of a cab block should follow the amp blocks speaker impedance defaults. Whatever that is should be a better pick than the Factory 1 1x4 Pig 57 default of the cab block. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Creating user templates with amp/cab default combos is a work around.
The cab IR part of modeling is an endeavor that requires a lot of research and is probably the most frustrating part for many.
Fractal should lead the way to something better. They very well could be already.

Back
Top Bottom