Standard and Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

Just to offer yet another point of view...

- For some of my patches, no changes are needed, and they do indeed sound better.

- For most of my patches, there is now way too much reverb... I expected a mild difference, and new reverb *capabilities* but not this reverb washout. Have to tweak that out. I'm surprised nobody else brought that up... I mean, my patches are now drenched in reverb... wtf?

- Many of my lead tones are now very dark and muffled. Not sure what might be the cause here, and that's my biggest concern (if the necessary readjustments were obvious, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I honestly don't know where to begin, or which of the new f/w changes have resulted in that)

- A handful of my patches are now VERY LOUD and clip the output. Again, not sure what did it, but easy to fix.

All in all, probably gonna keep 9.00, but this looks like more work to do than I have ever seen from an upgrade (some of the previous upgrades were even more impactful, but I was lucky that they happened when I needed to redesign my tones from the ground up - in this case, I want to keep my tones, so have to do the work).

Dpoirier said:
Just to offer yet another point of view...

- For some of my patches, no changes are needed, and they do indeed sound better.

- For most of my patches, there is now way too much reverb... I expected a mild difference, and new reverb *capabilities* but not this reverb washout. Have to tweak that out. I'm surprised nobody else brought that up... I mean, my patches are now drenched in reverb... wtf?
Well it was noted on the release notes, remember a bunch of the parameters are resetted so that may account for your dramatic changes in reverb...Not a big deal to fix IMHO.

- Many of my lead tones are now very dark and muffled. Not sure what might be the cause here, and that's my biggest concern (if the necessary readjustments were obvious, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I honestly don't know where to begin, or which of the new f/w changes have resulted in that)

I would look at the tone controls in the amp as their tapers were changed.

AlbertA said:
Thanks for that tip... I wonder, though, about how dramatic that taper change can be. I was under the impression that the change was from one type of audio taper to another (perhaps more accurate) audio taper. It shouldn't be as dramatic as changing from a log to a liner, or vice-versa. But I don't know for sure what that taper change really entails.

I'll look into it, though. I'll pick a preset that is affected but doesn't have any EQs or filters, so that I can focus on the amp block alone (there were no major changes to cab models, were there?)

All I can say is WOW! I decided to save my own presets at the last minute....lol

I am so glad I did. My X99, 5150 and CAE 3+ patches absolutely RULE now. The 5150 has that grind it is known for in spades. The X99 now has MUCH more crunch and I am really diggin' whatever went on with the CAE 3+.

Cliff, this is a superb update... It is gonna be hard to top this one... I am on to try the Bogners now!

Gary

That's the cold-bias modeling. Every amp model you indicated was affected by that. Even when you play light you get that crunch underneath. Then if you dig in it tightens up and chugs.

Dpoirier said:
AlbertA said:
Thanks for that tip... I wonder, though, about how dramatic that taper change can be. I was under the impression that the change was from one type of audio taper to another (perhaps more accurate) audio taper. It shouldn't be as dramatic as changing from a log to a liner, or vice-versa. But I don't know for sure what that taper change really entails.

You have Treble , Mid, Bass and Presence..... they all shift a little and it adds up quickly.
Add to that the Sag change, some of the updated amps and all the Reverb parameters that got reset to their
default value and your preset suddenly sounds very different.

;)

FractalAudio said:
That's the cold-bias modeling. Every amp model you indicated was affected by that. Even when you play light you get that crunch underneath. Then if you dig in it tightens up and chugs.
Yep, the X99 sounds even better than before (and it was already one of my favs). The release notes say that you re-did it. Did you buy one for comparison ?

mwc2112 said:
InsideOut said:
:lol: :lol:

Oh is right! This is awesome! No placebo baby. This is the real deal. Vibe and rotary are totally killer now. Euro amps always seemed really thin and brittle and now they are just rockin amps. Merry Christmas to us :cool:

You rock Cliff :cool:

Rob, I'm not sure I'm going to have time to do the upgrade tonight. So, I expect a couple hours worth of clips in my in-box when I wake up in the morning. :lol:

Oh, there's going to be something in your in-box tomorrow alright :twisted:

FractalAudio said:

Yes it does!!!!! I freakin' LOVE this...
I guess the Recto amps are benefiting from the power amp mods you did as well. I am keeping the master much lower on them and hitting the preamp with an OD808 and I can't tell the difference between the Recto recorded with an MD421 on the oversize Recto cab and the Axe with the same things...

All I can say is BRAVO!!!!!!!!

img5614.jpg

Wow your computer is slowwwwww
I've been watching that progress bar for the past 30 minutes and it doesn't seem to move at all.

:D :lol: :D

SOLO 100 is my new favourite amp. No wait! It's Plexi with the Master and Sag turned waaaaaaaaaaaay up! No WAIT! It's CAE 3+ LD!

NO WAIT!

OHMIGODMYHEADISGOINGTOEXPLODE!

Seriously: amazing work Cliff. Truly amazing.

AndrewSimon said:
I've been watching that progress bar for the past 30 minutes and it doesn't seem to move at all.

Not as slow as someone who stares at a still image and expects to see movement. :mrgreen:

shredi knight said:
Not as slow as someone who stares at a still image and expects to see movement. :mrgreen:

I click "refresh" faster and still your PC is on progress bar... :mrgreen:

Hi, just updated to 9.00.

All progress bars made it till the end (file transfer, flash update and flash verification) => then I get all the pretty blinking lights :) and after shutting down and restaring the axefx it mentions ver 9.00.

However: I never saw a "good checksum" (mind you, also not a "bad checksum"). I used exactly the same equipment to update as before and then I got the message.

Can I be sure everything went like it should have?

Cliff,

The 9.0 update installed quickly & without a hitch - won't really have a chance to give a serious listen for the next couple of days, but I would personally like to thank you for all of your hard (and inspired) work. Things like modeling the unique sound of cold-biased preamp tubes are details that most 'distortion doctors' simply overlook, but you obviously have a rare talent for the details, and IMHO these details are what make the AFX the best modeler available, regardless of price.

flageolet said:
Hi, just updated to 9.00.

All progress bars made it till the end (file transfer, flash update and flash verification) => then I get all the pretty blinking lights :) and after shutting down and restaring the axefx it mentions ver 9.00.

However: I never saw a "good checksum" (mind you, also not a "bad checksum"). I used exactly the same equipment to update as before and then I got the message.

Can I be sure everything went like it should have?
Yes.

Best improvement so far

Great amp sounds !
I must say that was the biggest improvement in amp sound so far. Now the marshalls have crunch and bite like a real marshall. I think the attack of most models also became better . The reverb also seems to be way better .

Great job ! :eek: :p This is gonna be fun .

Thomas

:p

shredi knight said:
AndrewSimon said:

You mean like this? :D

optical-illusion-wheels-circles-rotating.png

Back
Top Bottom