Stainless steel frets - rga8 & rg2228 halp

Cobrango

Power User
Hi

I'm going to order some stainless steel frets for a luthier to put on a rga8 and a rg2228. the radius for the rga8 is 400mm, and the rg2228 is 430mm. I've never ordered frets before and I want to make sure that I get it right. I want to order the "jumboest" jescar frets: http://www.cbgitty.com/fretting-sup...r-super-jumbo-stainless-steel-fret-wire-6-ft/

On the link it says "pre-radiused on a ~10" radius basis" but in this video:
he talks about matching the radius, is this something that is easy for the luthier to do with a so called "fret bender" at his shop, or would it be best if I could order the frets matched from cbgitty with that radius?

because now the luthier has to bend the frets from the 10" (254mm) to 400mm/430mm, and that won't be a problem? they won't wanna go back to the "254mm state" as in bending upwards over time? I have no knowledge of this I'm just trying to figure it out.

and yeah, the first link to the jescar frets says a pack of 6 ft, does anyone familiar with 8-strings and frets know how much fret wire is needed for an 8-string rga8/rg2228? they are both 27" with 24 frets.

I hope someone can help me, because ordering frets is not my strength and I don't want to order something useless because I did not do the research. I've googled like crazy but I can't find anything explaining this.

And yes, I'm getting stainless steel frets, and no I won't concider normal frets, lol.

Do you know what luthier that will do the repair?
He would probably know more about this then most.
Hopefully he have done SS frets before, if not he will need all new tools hardened for SS. Normal tools cannot handle SS.

Anyways, find out who you want to do it, and talk to him about it.
He might even get discount if he orders the frets.

Do you know what luthier that will do the repair?
He would probably know more about this then most.
Hopefully he have done SS frets before, if not he will need all new tools hardened for SS. Normal tools cannot handle SS.

Anyways, find out who you want to do it, and talk to him about it.
He might even get discount if he orders the frets.

+1
Talk to your luthier and have him order them. He will know exactly what to order.
If he hasn't already done SS frets, he will likely need some new tools.

If your luthier cannot put you at ease about these details then you may want to look for a different luthier. The radius difference should be no problem for an experienced luthier. Some guys (me included) find that having a tighter radius on the frets before installation helps the ends stay in and not pop up. I purposely bend all my wire tighter before installation. Also, someone who has done SS refrets should know where to get the wire if he doesn't already have that size in stock. You should not be buying the wire. Stainless steel wire is great stuff, but it's not fun to install. Not the job for an unexperienced tech. You can likely tell whether or not a luthier is good at SS wire by their pricing. If they don't charge any extra for stainless steel then they may not know what they're in for. If they charge twice as much than standard wire then they may really hate it and perhaps not be good at it.

I had my main guitar refretted with stainless steel frets by a local luthier. I love the result. My guitar is amazing with these new frets. The original frets were very worn, so any new frets would have been nice; however, stainless steel is a big step up. My luthier and I discussed options before the refret and there was an upcharge for stainless steel. They're much harder and cause more wear on the tools used to finish them. Chances are I'll never need to refret my guitar again :)

I buy Jescar frets in roll and press them in compound radius fretboards from 14 to 20" without a problem with proper inserts for press.

I just got an new Warmoth neck for my Fender AM ´59 Vintage Strat wit stainless steel frets and hopefully get my guitar from guitar tech back in a week or so. I'm sure at least I hope so it will sound alot better then.

Back
Top Bottom