STAGE MONITORING SETUP

I'm curious how some of you setup your stage monitoring w/soundguy/FOH.

I run axe-fx DI to FOH and also to matrix PA that powers my Orange 4X12 as a backline on stage. I'm the only guitarist in the band and only have one side backlined on stage. The last show we played, the stage volume was so loud, my guitar sounded out of tune. I kept asking sound guy to turn me down nothing changed, I even turned my backline down and still same issue. odd imo...

Do you all even request DI guitar on stage if you have a backline? I move around a lot so thats why I ask for it.

I like to hear everything, Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Backing Tracks, Kick and Snare in the monitors but am curious and open to other methods. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Man that's a tough one.. I use ears and our own mixer so the sound guy is removed from equation, and I hear the same thing no matter where i'm standing.

When you say move around do you leave your position and go to the other side of the stage entirely?

I'm also wondering if they had side fills on the stage or you were just hearing yourself coming out of the other monitors...

Whenever possible I want in-ear only. I prefer not to have any amps or cabs on stage but I keep one cab on stage for feedback purposes only. It's mountable on a stand so when not in use I can turn it away. Quiet stages are good stages, less chance of undesired feedback, better for the FOH engineer and you could actually make some decent live multitrack recordings that way.

This way I'm also not tied to a single spot where I need to stand in order to hear myself but am free to move around and put on a show. I need space to move about, connect with the other band members and of course the audience. Otherwise I feel constricted and my playing would suffer. .

I run 2 XiTines in stereo setup like backline. One behind me and the other on the other side of the drum riser by my bass players rig. For bigger stages I set them on their side and point them out like a 1x12 cab. For smaller stages I point them up like a wedge.

Making the move to ALL in-ears very soon.
Currently, monitoring my rig with a 4X12 on stage, with power amp.
Sometimes I run direct and sometimes, depending on the soundman, it's mic'd cab.

Can't wait to go all in-ears and take the cabs off the stage.

I moved my band to IEM's last year and could not be happier. There was ALWAYS a complaint about the monitor mixes, and on the festival circuit, you never know what you're going to get equipment and engineer wise. All of our inputs go through a splitter that is built into our mixer, so we have total control of what we hear. I still have 4, 4x12's on stage, but they're empty ;)

Back
Top Bottom