Stage Monitor Static... I'm not an expert...

JRod4928

Power User
So I want to ask you

I have a monitor that emits a static sound when a low note is played, at LOW volume. I'm not talking nearly silent, but more like comfortable indoor listening volume.

I tried to swap mic/line input. I tried adjusting the level of the input source and adjusting the monitor level accordingly to maintain the same volume. Nothing gets rid of it....except turning the volume up beyond a comfortable indoor level. Then it sounds fine.

why does this sound exist? Is there a problem? Or is it simply there because I'm playing a 1000 watt speaker at low volume? A tech has looked at it already and said it's fine. I want to trust him, but is he wrong?

http://soundcloud.com/user606149124/static

Last edited:
With the monitor turned off push on the speaker gently and see if you can feel it rubbing. The clip sounds like the voice coil might be rubbing.

That popping isn't good unless that's the mic hitting something. It doesn't take a trained ear to feel what Cliff is describing. If you gently push the speaker inward and you feel any grinding - think med to fine sandpaper - then you have a problem. You don't have to push the speaker in all the way. Just give it some travel and see how it feels. If it's smooth as glass and there are no sounds you should be in good shape.

that's outside my pay grade. Not sure why is happening only at low volume... sounds fine at high.

the tech said he used parametric eqs to test it. Don't think he actuallytook power amp measurements. sounds suspect to me

It's also possible that there is something else wrong with the speaker. Apart from voice coils rubbing (be sure to press the cone equally when checking for that, not just one side), I've seen coils come loose from the spider, spiders coming loose from the frame, etc.

Your best bet is to try another speaker with the same input and level. If no static, you've isolated the issue. Btw, does it ever crackle, etc., when it's on but no input?

TT

No crackling. And I did push evenly :)

I bought it used from GC 2 months ago. In the first week or 2i noticed the problem. They brought in the tech to look at it and deemed it ok. I was out of town for a few weeks and finally got to try it again this week. And the problem remains the same.

GC has been awesome throughout the whole process. They're going to accept a return for full refund even though it's been 2 months. Can't complain about their customer service.

I found a good deal on prx712 on ebay from jbl-direct. So im going to give that a shot

Back
Top Bottom