Stacking switch controls? Multiple channels on one button press

jdolll

Inspired
Is it possible to stack multiple things on a single button press? I'd like to update both amp's channel settings in a single press and I'm struggling to figure out how to stack things on a single button press. Thanks!

Is it possible to stack multiple things on a single button press? I'd like to update both amp's channel settings in a single press and I'm struggling to figure out how to stack things on a single button press. Thanks!
use a Scene for changing multiple things at once.

I can do that, but I'd prefer not to due to the dropout when switching scenes. I've read through the manual and it seems as though this is supposed to work with Control Switches, which I currently have setup from CS1-CS4 on switches 1-4, but they don't appear to work with the midi settings I have in my Midi/Remote settings

I can do that, but I'd prefer not to due to the dropout when switching scenes. I've read through the manual and it seems as though this is supposed to work with Control Switches, which I currently have setup from CS1-CS4 on switches 1-4, but they don't appear to work with the midi settings I have in my Midi/Remote settings
Control Switches don't need Setup>Midi settings. you've probably setup the EXTERNAL switches 1 - 4 of the FC.

put a Modifier on the Bypass parameter of each block, and make the Source the same Control Switch.

generally there is no dropout when switching Scenes on the Axe3, especially if not changing Amp channels. a few specific blocks force an audio gap.

if you upload your preset and explain what you're trying to do, we can directly help instead of guess.

I'm not attempting to update bypass state. I'm attempting to take both Amp 1 & 2 and move them between channel A, B, C, and D. I have those set up as Clean, Edge of Breakup, Drive, and Lead respectively. I'm not sure I follow on the midi settings switches, If I'm using CS Midi, it would seem to me that those settings would be required to understand what those CS controls were attempting to do. Perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding that part of the control setup. Quite frankly, it seems silly that I can't assign multiple control values to a single switch in the default configuration for the FC.

I'm not attempting to update bypass state. I'm attempting to take both Amp 1 & 2 and move them between channel A, B, C, and D. I have those set up as Clean, Edge of Breakup, Drive, and Lead respectively. I'm not sure I follow on the midi settings switches, If I'm using CS Midi, it would seem to me that those settings would be required to understand what those CS controls were attempting to do. Perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding that part of the control setup. Quite frankly, it seems silly that I can't assign multiple control values to a single switch in the default configuration for the FC.
the FC is not intended to assign multiple things per switch, other than Tap vs Hold functions.

CS Midi is for sending MIDI commands out of the Axe to other devices.

again, Scenes are the solution for this. i don't think changing channels at the same time would be any faster than having Scenes do the same thing.

You gotta use scenes and deal with gaps...

Although scenes are very powerful tool for switching parts of a written songs, I find that they are a bit limitating when improvising or composing where a stomp box approach is much more convenient (for me).
I think the FC really lack the possibility to have switches that can control different things at once.
For the OP question, true that scene could help, but in that case it is good to remember that they might be only a workaround.

The ability to send multiple "commands" on a single button press independent of scenes would be very cool and useful.

Austin

You would have to program these in advance, just like you’d have to program Scenes. I don’t see the difference in this situation.

The difference is, maybe I turned my phaser on and now I want to switch base tones while still having the phaser on. Switching scenes won't allow you to do that. But changing two channels on a one button press could. The same reasons people have had for years. This can be addressed with certain controllers (not the FCs at this point), but the functionality itself is not build into the AxeFX so it is not easily available to everybody.

As always, if you have everything mapped out in advance, there are ways to accomplish all of this in-the-box, but if not, the flexibility can be lacking in certain situations.

Austin

Seems like it would make the most sense to have amp channels, effects etc all setup as individual IA style switches, so you can turn stuff in and off, change channels etc on the fly, and then when you find combinations that work, save them as a scene.

Having to go and program a multi layer switch, provided it could be added, seems like it would require as much planning as scenes would, and still limit flexibility in tone crafting.

You could even setup a custom layout with some scene switches and some IA style switches all in the same page I believe.

The difference is, maybe I turned my phaser on and now I want to switch base tones while still having the phaser on. Switching scenes won't allow you to do that. But changing two channels on a one button press could. The same reasons people have had for years. This can be addressed with certain controllers (not the FCs at this point), but the functionality itself is not build into the AxeFX so it is not easily available to everybody.

As always, if you have everything mapped out in advance, there are ways to accomplish all of this in-the-box, but if not, the flexibility can be lacking in certain situations.

Austin
This sounds more like the “have Scenes ignore certain blocks” wish.

This sounds more like the “have Scenes ignore certain blocks” wish.

Well, I think they're 2 potential ways of solving the same thing

Scenario one: My phaser block is scene-independent so I can turn it on in Scene 1, switch to Scene 2 where my amp channel switches and my compressor goes on and the phaser will still be active

Scenario two: I can switch my amp channel and turn on my compressor with one button. So in Scene 1, I can turn on my phaser, then hit that button to change my base amp tone and the phaser will still be on

The different is, scenario two is already somewhat possible depending on how your preset is laid out and what controller you're using. RJM GT's let you send oodles of commands with one button press, so this is doable doable if you have that. Or you could use a separate path with a comp and amp 2 and switch to their entire path with a button press. But those still don't have the functionality of being able to do something like this natively in the box as other competing(? :D) products can do.

Austin

So what happens when you program the buttons to switch multiple things, but then you have a different set of blocks or have different combinations to switch on different presets? Would it be a preset-specific layout for each one? You might as well just use scenes at that point.

the Axe-Fx II had XY switching when it launched. this was new to the FAS gear world, and after using it for a while, people wanted increased switching capabilities. Scenes were introduced in FW 9, not when the Axe2 launched. so it was something that was developed and added.

the Axe3 was introduced with Channels, even more "XY" than ever before, and now we are finding we'd like increased switching capabilities again, especially paired with being able to add even more blocks (instances and amount) to a preset.

so it seems we're at the same place again. hopefully we can see another layer of switching options. personally, i'd like to see the "block ignores Scenes" thing, as that can help anyone regardless of the midi controller used, and helps a ton with multi guitar setups sharing one Axe3. if blocks could set an ignore per scene that would be amazing. i'd want S1-4 to affect all my blocks, but S5-8 to not affect my blocks (as those are for the 2nd guitarist). it's definitely a challenge to make it work properly, but would be great.

similar wishes are for just more Scenes in general (16 instead of 8), this wish for a switch changing multiple things, and others. i'm sure we'll see improvement in this area over time.

So what happens when you program the buttons to switch multiple things, but then you have a different set of blocks or have different combinations to switch on different presets? Would it be a preset-specific layout for each one? You might as well just use scenes at that point.

You can set button to be preset-specific. One of the advantages of the FCs over the MFC. And it needn't be confusing if you are able to label the buttons accordingly (I don't believe the FC lets you create custom labels so that would be another possible sticking point).

Austin

I too would like the ability to do multiple things with a single button press. A Control Switch can do some fairly simple things. The Helix/HX and Boss GT foot pedals allow multiple actions per switch - not sure what the Helix/HX limit is but most of the Boss stuff can do 5 or 6 actions with one switch.

Back
Top Bottom