SS POWER AMP & CAB + FRFR/DIRECT Help

I've got a Matrix GT800FX on the way. I want to run the setup in the title. Output 1 to Mixer/FRFR, Output 2 to the Matrix/Marshall 4X12. I've read the manual and Wiki, and search forums on this. I plan to tap output 2 before CAB block as show in the manual. The manual says GLOBAL PARAMETERS should be default (Amp/Speaker modeling on), but if Output 2 is to a SS PWR AMP/CAB, what effect does the OUTPUT MODE in the SPEAKER DRIVE tab on the AMP block have on this?

I've got a Matrix GT800FX on the way. I want to run the setup in the title. Output 1 to Mixer/FRFR, Output 2 to the Matrix/Marshall 4X12. I've read the manual and Wiki, and search forums on this. I plan to tap output 2 before CAB block as show in the manual. The manual says GLOBAL PARAMETERS should be default (Amp/Speaker modeling on), but if Output 2 is to a SS PWR AMP/CAB, what effect does the OUTPUT MODE in the SPEAKER DRIVE tab on the AMP block have on this?

First, I would recommend actually using output 3 to go to the Matrix/Marshall. OUT3 is designed for unity gain. Then turn out3 all the way up on the front panel of the axeFX into the matrix amp. Use the matrix amp for the volume of the marshall cabinet.

Second, the changes between the output mode are subtle. I would recommend trying both to see which you like better. I use the same setup as you, both with the GT800FX and GT1000fx. I personally prefer the regular output mode, because I would rather the audience hear the pure tone I dial in on my home studio. The stage volume from the cabinet is much more likely to be affected by the room etc. There's no "right" way, just trust your ears.

First, I would recommend actually using output 3 to go to the Matrix/Marshall. OUT3 is designed for unity gain. Then turn out3 all the way up on the front panel of the axeFX into the matrix amp. Use the matrix amp for the volume of the marshall cabinet.

Second, the changes between the output mode are subtle. I would recommend trying both to see which you like better. I use the same setup as you, both with the GT800FX and GT1000fx. I personally prefer the regular output mode, because I would rather the audience hear the pure tone I dial in on my home studio. The stage volume from the cabinet is much more likely to be affected by the room etc. There's no "right" way, just trust your ears.
Thanks for your response. Do you run GT800FX in Stereo or Bridged into the Marshall?

Thanks for your response. Do you run GT800FX in Stereo or Bridged into the Marshall?

I mainly run it in mono using the A side. I have, on occasion run it in Bridged mode for outdoor gigs or a couple large arena shows with larger cabinets. And have also run Stereo L/R to two cabinets. This is mainly for stereo spread rather than needing the extra volume.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend bridged mode, you need a special cable. But I have played the LA forum with the 800FX & 1000FX, I've never needed the extra stage volume that going bridged would need. Thats REALLY loud with a 4x12. I would be shocked if the power amp isn't loud enough using only one side. One thing to keep in mind is don't dial the power amp in with your eyes, use your ears. Crank the power amp up if you need more stage volume. I've had the matrix blow up a couple 100 watt speakers.

Your mileage may vary.

Then turn out3 all the way up on the front panel of the axeFX into the matrix amp. Use the matrix amp for the volume of the marshall cabinet.
If you're running both outputs I find it simpler to run the Matrix full on and use the Axe Fx Output 3 knob for volume control.

Also there have been some threads here about setting the Matrix to at least 2 o'clock for optimal results. Started with Metallica's techs...
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend bridged mode, you need a special cable.
Depends on the version... I bought mine used and was confused at the online manual. I contacted Matrix and mine doesn't require it. Apparently the later models don't.

If you're running both outputs I find it simpler to run the Matrix full on and use the Axe Fx Output 3 knob for volume control.

My Matrix is noisy as heck when run at full volume. I run mine at 50% and use the Axe output knob to adjust volume as needed.

My Matrix is noisy as heck when run at full volume. I run mine at 50% and use the Axe output knob to adjust volume as needed.
Weird... Mine is the GT800FX. Is that what yours is?

The knobs are just attenuators so you not see a difference in using either as the "master".

Back
Top Bottom