Wish SS amp or preamp?

jzucker

Experienced
I love all the tube amps that fractal has but could we carve out a niche for 1 or 2 SS amps? Polytone, Clarus, Markbass, Aguilar?

Or perhaps a 5 band EQ that is tailored to work for bass or guitar (with a flip of a switch)? It's possible that a single SS preamp could serve the purpose for 99% of the SS amps?

This would make the tool inherently more useful for jazz players and for bassists. I've spent a full week trying to get an EQ that results in a similar tone to my markbass big bang amp. It'd sure be helpful to start with something that is at least in the ballpark.

I think there are a lot of guys looking for the SVT or B15 sound and while I think those are cool, most modern jazz and fusion bassists are using SS amps these days.

Anyway, please consider it.

JC-120 is a solid state amp...
Yes but it's super noisy (unless fractal has fixed the circuit), bright, brittle sounding and other than the fact that many venues have one, is not something most guys covet, plus it's not a great bass amp...

@unix-guy - i tried the jc-120 for bass and it's actually pretty good. Tone controls don't quite work for bass so I still have to use the 10 band. I'll try it for guitar later.

@unix-guy - i tried the jc-120 for bass and it's actually pretty good. Tone controls don't quite work for bass so I still have to use the 10 band. I'll try it for guitar later.
Maybe change the Tone Stack?

Honestly, if you want no "effects" of tubes then just use something like a Compressor plus a PEQ or GEQ.

Maybe change the Tone Stack?

Honestly, if you want no "effects" of tubes then just use something like a Compressor plus a PEQ or GEQ.

I mentioned in another thread that I am just bypassing the amp and using a 10 band eq but it's much more convenient to just have a preamp already tailored for guitar or bass tone stack. Seems like it should be simple to implement and we have hundreds of guitar amps.

and what do you mean "just change the tone stack" ?

I mentioned in another thread that I am just bypassing the amp and using a 10 band eq but it's much more convenient to just have a preamp already tailored for guitar or bass tone stack. Seems like it should be simple to implement and we have hundreds of guitar amps.

and what do you mean "just change the tone stack" ?
BF13D0CC-D25E-4A50-A617-FCE055A27016.jpeg

yeah, played around with this some before. Mostly the jc-120 with default preamp, no sag and the geq attenuating some high freq sounds best but I'd rather just have a real SS bass preamp. I don't have to use geq with any of my other real amps...
I'll just say this - search the whole forum for wishes for bass amps...

Not saying it won't happen, but if I was a betting man I know where my money would go ;)

Back
Top Bottom