Squishy kind of compression on top 2 strings when high gain?

GazzaBloom

Inspired
I am finding that many of my high gain amp tones have a (very hard to describe) squishy kind of compression on the top 2 strings, like a glassy, crackly, scratchy sound

I don't think it's my pickups as I get it with 2 different guitars (PRS CU22 with 57/08s and Gibson SG with 57 Classics), however it's only really prevalent on the bridge pickup.

I have tweaked and tweaked and can't find the parameter or control that can dial this out, any suggestions?

I don't get it on low gain amps.

Gazza

PS there's hint of it on this sound clip from RobMcFly but not as much as I seem to get:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/101356-fw19-high-gain-lick.html

I am finding that many of my high gain amp tones have a (very hard to describe) squishy kind of compression on the top 2 strings, like a glassy, crackly, scratchy sound

I don't think it's my pickups as I get it with 2 different guitars (PRS CU22 with 57/08s and Gibson SG with 57 Classics), however it's only really prevalent on the bridge pickup.

I have tweaked and tweaked and can't find the parameter or control that can dial this out, any suggestions?

I don't get it on low gain amps.

Gazza

PS there's hint of it on this sound clip from RobMcFly but not as much as I seem to get:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/101356-fw19-high-gain-lick.html
Less gain. It's a simple as that.

Just started plying thru my JVM after almost 2 years of Axe.
Squishy top strings on a tube amp.
What you're hearing is most probably how the actual amp sounds.

i just went through the same thing. my issue was that the notes almost had a muted sound if i played them fast or hard. i would agree with first answer that it is a gain thing. i lowered drive on amp block and raised the gain on a drive block.

Thanks guys, lowering gain and master volume seems to help, especially master volume, also some high cut on the cabs seems to help.

I'll keep tweaking, in general, I'm finding higher gain tones harder to dail in than clean to mild breakup.

One problem is my room which is boomy at the best of times plus I like to get some volume when dialling in high gain and the kids keep shouting down the stairs at me! I may have to find a rehearsal space just for a high volume tweaking session.

setting the high cut in the cab to what matches the range of an actual cab may help...you just might not be used to hearing those freq's. some guys go as low as 5k, some as high as 10-12k. i think i'm running at like 9k right now, if memory serves.

setting the high cut in the cab to what matches the range of an actual cab may help...you just might not be used to hearing those freq's. some guys go as low as 5k, some as high as 10-12k. i think i'm running at like 9k right now, if memory serves.
It's actually not cutting "to the range of an actual cab", because the IR already does that by default. It's cutting what you don't hear because the cab is barfing at your feet, not your ears.

Thanks guys, lowering gain and master volume seems to help, especially master volume, also some high cut on the cabs seems to help.

I'll keep tweaking, in general, I'm finding higher gain tones harder to dail in than clean to mild breakup.

One problem is my room which is boomy at the best of times plus I like to get some volume when dialling in high gain and the kids keep shouting down the stairs at me! I may have to find a rehearsal space just for a high volume tweaking session.

Turn on the "Cut" switch on the main amp page. That is the easy way to deal with this. If it gets too thin, then add bass back by using the depth, or dynamic depth knobs.

There are other ways to deal with this also, such as using an OD pedal like the OD 808 in front of the amp, or using an EQ in front of the amp to cut the bass before it hits the amp.

EDIT: Yes, and I find I always need to turn the master way down to like 2 or so on almost every high gain preset I make. Raising that always seems to make the sound more middy, "sputtery", "fizzy", "blurry", etc... just, not clear and tight like I want :D

Back
Top Bottom