Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeders

My thoughts are this... anyone who has something that works are either in the honeymoon phase or are just lucky enough to have really REALLY dumb squirrels.

We've tried everything, and most of it actually worked for about 48 hours -- slinky, expensive feeders, slick poles, slick barriers, trap-door ledges... everything. Moreover, they pretty much destroyed everything we threw at them by gnawing holes or scratching through it.

The only thing that really worked is my son using them for bow and arrow practice. Sad but true.
Wow really? Did you try a roller feeder? The only squirrel I’ve seen beat our roller feeders was one little flying squirrel at our lake house, and he actually got trapped inside of it, and I had to let him out! lol But as for the regular ol grey squirrels, never seen one beat it.

Anyone have a tried and true bird feeder recommendation that is commonly available (north of boston/nh border) and will keep squirrels from raiding the feed?

Thanks!

I drove a piece of rebar into the ground, then slid a piece of PVC pipe over the rebar, slid the green squirrel guard bracket over the PVC pipe and tightened the screws to hold it in place, then slid the green canister over the clamp. That particular bird feeder fit perfectly on the end of the PVC pipe.

The canister just sits on top of the clamp and is free to move around and wobble. I've watched squirrels try and get up but they get as far as getting their head inside the canister and can't go any farther. So now they just stay on the ground and clean up the seeds that the Blue Jays toss all over the place.

0E2DCB14-B4F4-457B-9719-3C424ECBB632.jpeg

Last edited:
I drove a piece of rebar into the ground, then slid a piece of PVC pipe over the rebar, slid the green squirrel guard bracket over the PVC pipe and tightened the screws to hold it in place, then slid the green canister over the clamp. That particular bird feeder fit perfectly on the end of the PVC pipe.

The canister just sits on top of the clamp and is free to move around and wobble. I've watched squirrels try and get up but they get as far as getting their head inside the canister and can't go any farther. So now they just stay on the ground and clean up the seeds that the Blue Jays toss all over the place.

View attachment 76987

cool!

Are squirrels the only rodent you need to be concerned with getting to the bird feed? Rats are great climbers and will gnaw through about anything short of metal to get to food.

Are squirrels the only rodent you need to be concerned with getting to the bird feed? Rats are great climbers and will gnaw through about anything short of metal to get to food.

Will keep that in mind.

Honestly, I know that rats are there....somewhere....but in all of the trapping I've done in and around my house, can't say that there are any manifest signs of a rat problem. I wonder that we have a lot of neighbors with better pickings and surroundings than we have at our house. We see a ton of squirrels, mice, chipmunks, rabbits, and to a much lesser extent ground hogs. Almost no trace of raccoons or skunks, which is odd, too. A lot of hawks in our neighborhood, too.

View attachment 76987
How tall is that? Our squirrels would just jump from the ground to the feeder if it's less than 5-6 feet or so.

Back
Top Bottom