SPX90 Symphonic Setting

I have an old Yamaha FX500 in the basement collecting dust for a number of years... if I remember right it had 'Symphonic' effect in it - I wonder if it would be the same what is being discussed here?

If so I could give a try at mimicking it in the III...

Cheers,
Joce

I know Yamaha had that effect in the Magicstomp boxes. I tried one when I couldn't find an SPX90 again. They were huge for a floor box. Even then I might have kept it if it wasn't for the oddball power supply. I think it was 15V if I remember right.

My SPX90 arrived last week and I've had some time to play around with it side by side with the Axe. The SPX90 manual states that the symphonic setting is the stereo flanger with the feedback and delay time parameters omitted, so I set out to first match the SPX90 flanger settings to the Symphonic patch.

I found a delay time of 30ms and feedback gain of 30% in the stereo flanger sounded closest to the symphonic patch. From there I tried the Axe-Fx flanger with those values as starting points - I A/B'd the Axe and SPX to get them as close as possible manually. I also had some good results using a delay block with a 30ms delay, 30s feedback, bit reduction at 12 bits and some modulation.

The blocks are attached for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• Symphonic_20201103_131419.blk
    948 bytes · Views: 157
  • LT SPX90 Symphonic_20201103_131035.blk
    479 bytes · Views: 160
My SPX90 arrived last week and I've had some time to play around with it side by side with the Axe. The SPX90 manual states that the symphonic setting is the stereo flanger with the feedback and delay time parameters omitted, so I set out to first match the SPX90 flanger settings to the Symphonic patch.

I found a delay time of 30ms and feedback gain of 30% in the stereo flanger sounded closest to the symphonic patch. From there I tried the Axe-Fx flanger with those values as starting points - I A/B'd the Axe and SPX to get them as close as possible manually. I also had some good results using a delay block with a 30ms delay, 30s feedback, bit reduction at 12 bits and some modulation.

Thanks LT. Great timing. I just watched the video & my FM3 was delivered about 2 hours ago.......I got some learning to do this week.

THANK YOU so much for putting in the work on this ( we ALL appreciate it very much ) ! I've always referred to the sound as a "frozen flange" and have been searching for it for quite a while !

BTW - are these both Flanger blocks ? Or is one a Delay block ?

And what do you recommend for placement ( pre- or post- Amp/Cab ) ?

One delay, one flanger. Set them after the amp block on their own parallel chain, or in series with the mix lowered in the 40-50% range

Thanks Leon! Been waiting for this ever since I watched your video where you tried out your new SPX-90

Very Nice Leon, can't wait to try this out!

I have a couple SPX-90's laying around here somewhere.
I remember upgrading the Ver1 model with the IC set to bring it to Ver2.
Involved 6+ IC chips. Had to de-solder every pin on multiple IC's. Then I
soldered in sockets for the new IC's so it would be easier if they released
any newer upgrades (which never happened).

Took a while, but it worked on the first try. I believe it was just a memory upgrade, but not sure.

Then I bought a used one a few years back to use for the lowered pitch vocal on
ZZ Tops Manic Mechanic.

At any rate, I may hook it up again and mess with it.
Thanks for taking the time to create this for the Axe!

Last edited:
Thanks LT. Great timing. I just watched the video & my FM3 was delivered about 2 hours ago.......I got some learning to do this week.
These were made for Axe Fx III, if you managed to import them in FM3 I'm eager to learn how you did ;-) So far I converted with fractool but FM3-Edit doesn't even see them in the block library. Cool sound though !

These were made for Axe Fx III, if you managed to import them in FM3 I'm eager to learn how you did ;-) So far I converted with fractool but FM3-Edit doesn't even see them in the block library. Cool sound though !

Damn, I didn't realize that. And I was getting all excited for it.

Damn, I didn't realize that. And I was getting all excited for it.
Howdy, insisting a bit and shortening the filename out of Fractool, here the flanger version. For some reason the delay version won't translate, guess this is related to the density parameter that for the time being is absent in the FM3 delay block. Hope it translated accurately.

Attachments

• LT SPX90 Symphonic(FM3)-Flanger 1.blk
    479 bytes · Views: 32
I have an old Yamaha FX500 in the basement collecting dust for a number of years... if I remember right it had 'Symphonic' effect in it - I wonder if it would be the same what is being discussed here?

If so I could give a try at mimicking it in the III...

Cheers,
Joce
wow, that was my first muti-effects unit I ever owned.

I've got an FX500 also. If I can find the power supply, I'll check that out and
see if the Symphonic is the same. That unit was actually really good for it's time.
I've also got the foot controller and the Rack ears for it somewhere......

That's really addicting to play with. Both sound great, especially with a Strat + Plexi.

Back
Top Bottom