SprintPatch Info

sprint

Axe-Master
Was tempted to buy Digitech Mosaic a couple of months ago but was put off by the price and mixed reviews - after reading on the subject here, listening to a bunch of 12 string sounds, and trying out a few others' presets I decided to take a shot at creating an Axe3 patch for this. See my attempt here on AxeChange (there were a couple of earlier releases I put on AxeChange but this is the first one I'm somewhat happy with using my gear - (deleted the others)). If you try it out and have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to comment here. It's a far cry from a real 12 String and I'm not sure how close it is to having the Mosaic, but it works for me on some stuff I like to play / try to play.

The patch info is as follows:

Patch Location: Axechange - click here

Design:
  • Row 1 (Left Side Only) and 5 (Right Side Only) uare the standard strings with a tad of modulation added with the delay block.
  • Row 2 (left Side Only) is the octave up paired lower strings 3,4,5,6. - the crossover on row2 attempts ("attempts" is the key word there as it's def not even close to perfect) to feed the pitch block (left side - voice1) with the tone from the 4 low strings only - the octave up tone is delayed 25ms to better define the paired lower strings.
  • Row 4 (right side only) is the unison paired higher strings 1,2 - the crossover on row4 attempts to feed the delay block with the tone from the 2 high strings - the unison tone is delayed 35ms to better define the paired higher strings.
  • The Mixer block balances for 4 incoming feeds using the level commands (low standard strings (row1), low octave'd strings (row2), high unison'd strings (row4), high standard strings (row5).
  • Comp - a little for Scene 1,2 cleans.
  • 2 Amps select L and R respectively - they are set the same and output to L/R - I'm using 2 because the distorted scenes 3 and 4 get too nasty when trying to shove everything through 1 distorted amp.
  • Enhancer and Chorus - Helps with the jangle on scene1/2 and to cover up the unavoidable digital sounding aspects of the shifting.

Gear Used for Testing:
  • Gibson SG with 498T bridge pickup / 490R neck pu.
  • Direct out to Yamaha HS8 monitors.
Scenes:
  • 1 - Simulates Electric 12 String - Clean (Tuned to Bridge Position Humbucker on Gibson SG)
  • 2 - Simulates Accoustic 12 String (Tuned to Middle Position Humbucker on Gibson SG).
  • 3 - Simulates Electric 12 String - Heavily Distorted (Tuned to Bridge Position Humbucker on Gibson SG)
  • 4 - Simulates Electric 12 String - Heavily Distorted Lead (Tuned to Bridge Position Humbucker on Gibson SG)

Change History:
  • Changes in v 3.0: Removes use of 0 shift in Pitch block as per Fractal Recommendation.
  • Changes in v 2.0 - Tonal Improvement, Changes to Scene Arrangement.
  • v 1.0 - 1st attempt.

1606098142323.png

Last edited:
There is no preset attached so I have to guess how the X-Over block is configured. The crossover splits an audio signal into high and low frequency components. Very likely you set level of the filtered component to 0, correct?

A different approach would look like as follows:
  • use a pitch block with type Dual Chromatic
  • set Shift 2 to 12
  • attach a modifier to Level 2:
    Screenshot 2020-11-23 091420.jpg
Now you have two different aproaches. Hope this idea helps you to find what sounds best.

Back
Top Bottom