Spring Reverbs?

jzucker

Experienced
Has there ever been a discussion on improving the spring reverb? When I had the axefx 1, there wasn't anything better in pedal format but now the beltron and FV-1 chipsets sound pretty good. Pedals like the Boing (beltron) and the Topanga (FV-1) sound really good. It'd be cool if the axefx ii spring reverbs would get an upgrade to surprass those pedals. Or maybe it's just a matter of the parameters not being correctly configured.

I have to say, that coming from the kemper it's a pleasure having spring reverb as an option at all but it'd be great if I could get a convincing black face reverb sound out of the spring reverb program...

Thoughts?

@jzucker I agree that the default setting of the axefx spring reverbs don't match my vintage fender amp's reverbs.

I attribute that in my case to me not knowing what params would dial it in.

@FractalAudio is very keen on reverb in general, so maybe they can chime in with some commentary.

What settings have you adjusted? What are you wanting to hear that you're not hearing?
-
Austin

wanting to hear something that sounds big and lush like the reverb on a '64 BF fender reverb amp. I haven't played around with much of anything in the settings because frankly, i'm not sure what I should be adjusting.

+1 - I've gotten in the ballpark playing around with it and find the large spring setting seems to please my ears the most but I've never quite gotten it right

wanting to hear something that sounds big and lush like the reverb on a '64 BF fender reverb amp. I haven't played around with much of anything in the settings because frankly, i'm not sure what I should be adjusting.

I'd say spring number, time, and room size are good places to start.

But also, try cruising through the presets if you haven't already. One of them might contain a spring reverb that does it for you and that might save you some time.
-
Austin

+1 - I've gotten in the ballpark playing around with it and find the large spring setting seems to please my ears the most but I've never quite gotten it right

Have to admit, I did not play with the large reverb but will give it a try.

Just had a listen to the demo and downloaded this patch but while it sounds great, is not really the big, luscious reverb i had with my '64 princeton reverb.

So, to get a better Spring Reverb on the Fenders, try placing them serially between the Amp and the Cab (or in front of the Amp). It works for me!

Don't like it in front of the amp for the BF reverb sound but for surf that makes sense. I currently have it last in the chain.

So, to get a better Spring Reverb on the Fenders, try placing them serially between the Amp and the Cab (or in front of the Amp). It works for me!

Good suggestion! I was making a Ryan Adams preset the other day and I couldn't get it to sound like the song I was referencing. Then I though, "Wait in order to replicate his signal chain, maybe I should try putting it in front". And it worked like gangbusters. All of a sudden it had much more of an explosive bloom when I thwacked the strings. Then I placed a second room-type reverb after the amp (just because I can :D) and I was good to go. However, I think that's probably a boingier (for lack of a better word) sound than Jack is looking for.
-
Austin

The BEST vintage spring reverbs are the AMPEG Reverberocket and Gemini amps. 60s & early 70s. Wonderful. If FAS nailed those it wold be a game changer for 'clean' presets.

Not to me. Nothing beats the sound of an BF AB763 black face fender reverb amp.

The boing reverb (belton chip reverb) sounds really good for something so simple. I'd like to get something along these lines. This sounds closer to a BF Fender Reverb IMO...

Not to me. Nothing beats the sound of an BF AB763 black face fender reverb amp.

The boing reverb (belton chip reverb) sounds really good for something so simple. I'd like to get something along these lines. This sounds closer to a BF Fender Reverb IMO...

The fewer springs, the more boing.
-
Austin

I'll have to work on this when I get back home. I like the verbs, been using the London Plate a lot, but haven't done a lot with the spring verbs. I have a 64 Fender Super Reverb I can compare it with, so might be a fun project!

As long as Spring Reverb will not start to consume more CPU! It's very useful to have a low CPU reverb type.

As long as Spring Reverb will not start to consume more CPU! It's very useful to have a low CPU reverb type.

Although they could keep the current ""normal" quality springs and add in a "high" quality for the spring reverbs maybe....if they happen to consume more CPU of course.

Using a Strymon Big Sky to get close to the reverb in my 66 Vibrolux Reverb I have found that the Plate setting seems to be closer. The reverb in my VR is not as "boingy" as I have heard in other amps. Jack, have you tried the AxeFx plate verbs to get the fender sound?

Back
Top Bottom