Spring Reverb

Cooldrewb

Inspired
I'm playing around with the spring reverbs but for some reason I cannot get that spring sound. I put the spring reverb before the amp and even played around with the spring settings according to a few videos I have seen on it but for some reason can't dial it in. Any suggestions?

What is "that spring sound" you're referring to? Is the reverb too bright? Use high cut. Is it ringing too much? Lower the amount of springs. Is it too long? Lower the time.

There is no such a thing as perfect spring reverb. It will sound different with each amp and you have to craft it right for your amp of choice. You don't have to touch every setting in the block. Usually you can get along just fine using mix, time and high cut.

If you have some overdrive or distortion in your amp sound, the reverb will sound different depending of the gain and your amp settings. Gain will compress the reverb thus make it louder and have more audible tails. With distorted sounds you might want to really lower the mix (from 1-10, or more if you like shoegaze).

For a more static spring reverb sound you might want to put the reverb block after the amp. If it doesn't sound right, play with the eq. Using high cut makes it sound more vintage.

Pro-tip: if you want to have an even more audible reverb with your distorted sounds, put the reverb block before a drive block. It will make it much more audible when you engage the drive block.

Last edited:
I bought the Cooper Carter Classes and was following along with him and when he set his Spring Reverb up you could really hear the springs in the reverb but mine I can't really get that springy sound at all. I'm using a Deluxe Tweed with two Deluxe cabs and the reverb before the amp. And I have my amp setup for being on the edge of break up

I bought the Cooper Carter Classes and was following along with him and when he set his Spring Reverb up you could really hear the springs in the reverb but mine I can't really get that springy sound at all. I'm using a Deluxe Tweed with two Deluxe cabs and the reverb before the amp. And I have my amp setup for being on the edge of break up
Try these:
  • increase mix
  • increase amount of springs
  • use high cut (go as low as you like, 1-2k works for vintage sounds) and crank the mix up
  • increase gain in amp or drive block to make the reverb more compressed

I have the spring in front of amp, I have tried all the settings above and for whatever reason I just don't that pronounced spring sound.

Some things that have worked well for me:

1) Crank the mix and use input gain to control the blend. I could be crazy but I feel like I can hear more spring “boing” this way.

2) Raising the high cut to allow more highs can make the spring sound more noticeable

3) The tone and drive knobs can add a lot

4) Turning up the modulation past 30%

Hope this helps!

I had several sessions with Pete Anderson last year and we really struggled to get a spring reverb that worked for him. Although we were trying to get it to sound like his Strymon BigSky, and not necessarily like an actual spring reverb.

Curious about other ideas/solutions.

Ya, I really can't get it pop and I have tried cranking all the settings. Meanwhile Cooper in the video barely has it on.

I use medium spring on default settings, but for more boing: decrease the number of springs to 2 or 3. Somehow I feel that the Axe2 had more springy spring though?

Here is the preset. Let me know if you can hear the springy sound. I hope it is just me missing something but I feel like I have tried everything.

Attachments

• Edge of Breakup.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
By the way I have the other reverb and delay off when testing this. That was added after when I was going through Coopers class

Here is the preset. Let me know if you can hear the springy sound. I hope it is just me missing something but I feel like I have tried everything.
When I load this there is no spring reverb block - both are set to Medium Room.
Also the amp level is down at -49 db.

This is springy....

Attachments

• EoB-SKM edit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Downloaded your preset - as others have said:

1. The amp level is way low, massively so - don't know why. Turned it up to -9db
2. You've got two reverbs active, disable the reverb after the amp
3. Disable the delay after the amp

Now you're hearing the reverb in front of the amp

That's a room reverb, change the type to medium spring. In Axe-Edit block->reset channel.

I've turned the mix down to 13% and sure sounds like a spring to me - what's missing?

Goops, I uploaded the wrong one. As far as the rest of the settings I had my amp level down low because I was playing late last night. As far as the reverb and delay, I had those shut off.

It sounds like a spring but doesn't have the spring or boing sound that I used to have with one my reverb pedals I had.

Back
Top Bottom