Spring Reverb tips?

marshall2553

Power User
Does anyone have tips for tweaking spring reverb? I'm not a reverb junky but I've had a couple of amps with great reverb and I'm having trouble dialing that in on AX8.

It just seems harsh and overly metallic (yes I realize that sounds silly since it literally is a metal spring). Instead of being smooth and lush it kind of pulses or sounds like shrill delay repeats, this is more noticeable with Small or Medium Spring types. I'm not sure what parameters will get me what I want, I've never really had to do deep editing for reverb on other devices.

Small spring sounds awful to me too. Large spring, with higher than default number of Springs, with reasonable decay time sounds good to me though.

Does anyone have tips for tweaking spring reverb? I'm not a reverb junky but I've had a couple of amps with great reverb and I'm having trouble dialing that in on AX8.

It just seems harsh and overly metallic (yes I realize that sounds silly since it literally is a metal spring). Instead of being smooth and lush it kind of pulses or sounds like shrill delay repeats, this is more noticeable with Small or Medium Spring types. I'm not sure what parameters will get me what I want, I've never really had to do deep editing for reverb on other devices.
There's a few parameters I've found that tames them a bit. On the <Basic> page in FX8 Edit, the <HF Time> acts like a type of tone control; On the <EQ> page, set the <Low Cut> @ 110.0 Hz and the <High Cut> @ 2500 Hz; on the <Spring> page, adjust <Spring Tone> to give more or less cut to the reverb. I've attached a Reverb block that I've messed around with. It's not assigned to a footswitch and the mix is very high. I set the mix high to get a better feel of what the reverb is doing.

I tweaked the EQ curve for my personal preferences. Set <Q1> and <Q2> to .100 to have the respective gain act like a shelf EQ.

Attachments

• Spring Reverbs.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
I confess that I also have some difficulties to tame the reverb (just to sound similar a Fender Reverb...for instance) and tweak the right parameters. I am an apprentice and learning...Of course must be my ignorance...I know that this machine is tottaly able to do that! :)

Try it before the amp block. Rev -> Amp -> Cab

Or put a compressor after it. Amp -> Rev -> Comp -> Cab

Part of the Fender magic is the natural compression of the reverb in the power amp section.

Back
Top Bottom