Spring reverb 12.09

edo

Power User
Vendor
Has the spring reverb always been mono only (I mean, even with the stereo spread to 100%) or is it something new for this fw?

All of the reverb types are processed in mono. The dry stereo signal is preserved, but it is summed and fed to the reverb engine.

400px-Reverb_block.png

Yeah but the non-spring types create stereo.

True.

What does the stereo spread parameter do on the Spring types? Is it just a psycho-acoustic widening effect on the mono wet signal?

Edit: Nevermind, it was the plate type I was thinking of. Stereo spread doesn't do anything on the spring type.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this from the dead to see if there is any reason why the spring reverb cannot be a stereo plugin. I’d love to dump my Source Audio True Spring but spring reverb is all I use outside of a little room for headphone use, and like so many of us, I am running a stereo setup. I’m on an FM3 btw but didn’t want to start a new thread

Resurrecting this from the dead to see if there is any reason why the spring reverb cannot be a stereo plugin. I’d love to dump my Source Audio True Spring but spring reverb is all I use outside of a little room for headphone use, and like so many of us, I am running a stereo setup. I’m on an FM3 btw but didn’t want to start a new thread

i don’t think ive ever seen a stereo spring reverb, how do you plan to use it?

I use the Source Audio True Spring in the external stereo loop. Same way you’d insert a reverb block or any after the cab. It’s not that uncommon to have a stereo spring reverb in the digital world. Can’t remember where I read or watched all about it, but a lot of studios would have reverbs such as the AKG BX20 to mimic halls or something like that. A very different spring reverb than you find in an amp. More of a high end studio standard. Not the drip drip drip type of thing. Much more refined and in some ways “plate-like” but not quite the same thing. There’s a sound in units like the AKG BX20 that is a little bit special. Even taking amp-type springs and spreading them out in stereo like the Source Audio True Spring is a very unique type of thing. Sits underneath your guitar in very different way than your average plate or hall reverb.

I guess it also depends on why you choose to use the spring reverb?

To me, there are two reasons I use it. I use it in front of the amp block to emulate the spring reverb of classic amps. In that case, it needs to be mono. The other case is to add a little bit of ambience to the sound with very light CPU usage. If you want that to be in stereo, then you could run two reverb blocks or add the enhance block. I think, the enhance block uses less CPU compared to an additional reverb block.

I quickly noted that I am actually running an FM3 but just didn't want to start a new thread. No go on the two springs for me:) Not the biggest deal though. I was just wondering if there was any specific reason why the spring was not a stereo option on any of the Fractal units.

None of the reverbs are true stereo through. They all use a summed mono source and output to stereo based on the setting of the stereo spread parameter. Only the dry signal maintains stereo separation in the reverb block.

In reality, sound bounces all around a physical space, so stereo separation is often lost in the reverb sound there as well. Sound sources to your right can still cause reflections you hear on your left and vice versa. Reverb naturally fills the whole space usually.

Last edited:
I prematurely sold my true spring, in the expectation that the AxeFX 3 would deliver an equal quality spring verb. I miss that pedal, as annoying as it is to configure / use the tremolo, the spring algorithms in that thing are gorgeous! :D

Back
Top Bottom