Spring-loaded jacks

Intheband

Inspired
Anybody lease hate them? I have only recently bought them, over the past year. They pop out all the time and are really annoying. Especially in the middle of a song. Is it possible to take a set of pliers and rip that sucker off without ruining the jack? I spent some money on these and don’t want to have to shell out another few hundred in replacements, but this is not working out for me.

Anybody lease hate them? I have only recently bought them, over the past year. They pop out all the time and are really annoying. Especially in the middle of a song. Is it possible to take a set of pliers and rip that sucker off without ruining the jack? I spent some money on these and don’t want to have to shell out another few hundred in replacements, but this is not working out for me.
i don't know what you're talking about at all *shrug*

Never heard about them. I’ve seen and used locking jacks, I just don’t get why you would need spring loaded ones.

Someone has decided to make a guitar cable that has a sleeve over the tip(jack) that is “spring” loaded. It makes it easier to take the jack out of the guitar , or whatever it is plugged into. I find it to be problematic because if you nudge it wrong, it breaks the connection, no sound. I’ll try to get a piccture for you if you have never seen one before.

a>

If you are referring to Neutrik Silent Plugs, they’ve worked great for me. Not sure what else is out there.

Yeah, I think that’s what they are called. My pic posting skills are limited right now. Not sure what the problem is. Link not linking. Anyway, yeah, mine pops out all the time, guitar, other jacks etc..
D227ED46-6324-4888-8EA8-06599EAC974F_zpssizxc6p0.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

That sleeve pushes my jack out on occasion, such as in the middle of a song. It’s on my wireless. The cable cost me close to $50. Didn’t know what I was getting. Hate it. Wish I could take it out.

Something seems wrong. I suspect the problem is the guitar jack side not the plug. The spring on the plug side is very minimal. All my guitars grab that plug with such force that it's difficult to remove. Maybe others can chime in here, but honestly I really have to force these things out of my guitars which leads me to believe the "jack" side of your connection no longer has tension on the tip.

Last edited:
This is another variety that was giving me trouble just yesterday on another jack(pedal) . I don’t know if you can see the sleeve in this picture...

That sleeve pushes my jack out on occasion, such as in the middle of a song. It’s on my wireless. The cable cost me close to $50. Didn’t know what I was getting. Hate it. Wish I could take it out.

Something seems wrong. I suspect the problem is the guitar jack side not the plug. The spring on the plug side is very minimal. All my guitars grab that plug with such force that it's difficult to remove. Maybe others can chime in here, but honestly I really have to force these things out of my guitars which leads me to believe the "jack" side of your connection no longer has tension on the tip.

I agree with @biskitboy -- I use those silent plugs across a number of guitars without issue. Sounds like the jack on your guitar has worn and the spring arm inside the jack, that grabs the plug on insertion and holds it in, has gone. I'd replace the jack on your guitar. That moving sleeve offers barely any force at all and shouldn't provide much of any counter-force to the jack's tip-connecting arm.

...or, just flip the cable around and plug the silent plug end into your Axe-Fx and the non-silent plug end into the guitar. ;)

Last edited:
That Neutrik plug worked great for me for a while. Then it broke! The center core ended up getting loose and eventually damaged the other parts rendering it irreparable.

Cool plug though was great for just pulling out directly without worries of grounding ...etc..

It makes it easier to take the jack out of the guitar , or whatever it is plugged into.
To be clear: that's not what this little mechanism does. It cuts the signal before you scrape the plug along the jack's metal contacts allowing you to silently insert or remove the plug without all that annoying popping and ear-splitting noise you'd usually get. It's really quite a clever design. Durable and effective.

Few hundred? For guitar cables? I think you got ripped off.

I guess to each their own. I’m not a fan. Standard cables don’t give me any trouble. At least one other person has said they are not durable, and they are not reliable to me.

Back
Top Bottom