Spotify

Ole

Power User
Just wanted to know what you guys think of Spotify.
I use it alot, the radio channels, and found alot of new interesting music that I would never have heard of. And bought alot of them ofcourse.

What bothers me is that it seems that certain artists (well known), no matter how many times you block them, keep popping op in my radio list. I really dont like if some artists are favoured, but I guess that is reality. Or have they bought their way to getting on playlists even if disliked?

Anyways, as an artist is it a good way to get your music out, or is it all a record label scam?

Would like to hear some thoughts, because I have read a few very negative posts.

Just wanted to know what you guys think of Spotify.
I use it alot, the radio channels, and found alot of new interesting music that I would never have heard of. And bought alot of them ofcourse.

What bothers me is that it seems that certain artists (well known), no matter how many times you block them, keep popping op in my radio list. I really dont like if some artists are favoured, but I guess that is reality. Or have they bought their way to getting on playlists even if disliked?

Anyways, as an artist is it a good way to get your music out, or is it all a record label scam?

Would like to hear some thoughts, because I have read a few very negative posts.

To "get your music out", yes. To make money, no. Treat it like radio. You wouldn't make any money off of radio, you won't make anything off Spotify either. OK, maybe a few bucks, if you get noticed.

Using it all the time. At home or mobile. 9.99 per month.
Its radio stations are nice but the playlists are fixed and should change more often.

I used to use Spotify, but turned my account over to the rest of my family to use now.

I've recently set up an Rdio.com account, which is very similar, but my main aim is to learn about a lot of new music that is out there, which Rdio seems to do better than Spotify... If you follow the right people on Rdio, you get to learn about tons of music that you were never aware of (IMO).

Reactions: Ole
I used to use Spotify, but turned my account over to the rest of my family to use now.

I've recently set up an Rdio.com account, which is very similar, but my main aim is to learn about a lot of new music that is out there, which Rdio seems to do better than Spotify... If you follow the right people on Rdio, you get to learn about tons of music that you were never aware of (IMO).

Thx for the tip. I will try this for sure.

It's funny how things follow you around. I just got an email that Alexander van Engelen is on Rdio. How these two find each other I have no clue. A forum I frequent often and a service I pay for. So Yek how are you liking Rdio?

Hey Scott!
Even installing Rdio goes through Facebook contacts and adds these to Rdio. :)
Will have listen to Rdio later. Now at the beach :)

Hey Scott!
Even installing Rdio goes through Facebook contacts and adds these to Rdio. :)
Will have listen to Rdio later. Now at the beach :)

Facebook, thats right. Yeah I use RDIO everyday. As someone else has said this is the future of the music industry. They just need to start paying the artists a little bit more is all.

Well Yek enjoy the beach. I would be there too, if I was off work and lived by one.

I use it and have for a good while, but it's piss poor for paying the artist. I do the 9.99, but I would pay 19.99 a month for a similar provider who actually paid the artist fairly. A lot of what I listen to on Spotify is music I already own. If I find something new I like, I'll usually buy the music out right. Doesn't happen very often..

Reactions: Ole
Since you're in Denmark, try Wimp instead. Didn't like the sponsored artist thing, and lack of artist info in Spotify. Wimp also does a much better job of selecting similar artists, at least from what I've experienced so far! They also pay artists a fair share more, as I understand it. It's probably the latter that first of all made me consider other options, as I find the payments from Spotify rather ridiculous.

Last edited:
I use it. My music's on it. And it's a total rip off. But it's a chance for people to like similar stuff to find my stuff, and that's why I am there.

Basically until something changes, there is NO MONEY in original music unless you're already famous, or connected, or work hard and are very, very lucky.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day when water cost money and music was free" - David Bowie.

By the way, I can't speak for the others, but Spotify's royalties are NOT fixed. I guarantee you that Jay-Z gets a higher payout percentage than I do.

By the way, I can't speak for the others, but Spotify's royalties are NOT fixed. I guarantee you that Jay-Z gets a higher payout percentage than I do.

Yeah, I haven't seen a penny from Spotify after thousands of plays, but whatever. If people are listening, then have at it.

Back
Top Bottom