Spotify gems?

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Having a fairly solitary job, I am able to put my ear buds in and listen to music all day ( when Howard Stern isn't new:). Most of the time I just put Spotify on and see where it takes me. My musical tastes go from blues to death metal and everywhere in between. Every so often, a song will come on that will prompt me to investigate further. Lately there are two bands that I can't believe I never heard of. One is DGM - the guitar player, Simone Mularoni, is a monster. The other is Jorn. If you're into slightly progressive metal with a lot of melody - highly recommend giving both of these bands a listen. Anyone else find any gems while listening to a streaming service ?

This one comes with a story:

I found out about Rodion G.A., the "father of electronic music in Romania" through my ex-colleague's Spotify recommendations. This song came up in our office and grabbed our attention right away. We did a few Google searches and found out his music has a really interesting history (similar to Searching for Sugar Man). I've never heard any music from Romania nor understand the language, but it was such an interesting story that I ordered his newest LP and been a fan ever since.

Rodion GA: the lost musical superstar of Ceaușescu's Romania:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...l-superstar-of-ceausescu-romania-rodion-rosca

Sadly now when he's finally been brought to public, Rodion is fighting with cancer. I've been in touch with him lately through email and Facebook. We don't understand each others languages, but he keeps sending me his newest creations filled with heart-emojis. What a great guy! I wish him the best.

EDIT 27.5.2021: Rodion Ladislau Roșca has passed away this spring. RIP.

Last edited:
This one comes with a story:

I found out about Rodion G.A., the "father of electronic music in Romania" through my ex-colleague's Spotify recommendations. This song came up in our office and grabbed our attention right away. We did a few Google searches and found out his music has a really interesting history (similar to Searching for Sugar Man). I've never heard any music from Romania nor understand the language, but it was such an interesting story that I ordered his newest LP and been a fan ever since.

Rodion GA: the lost musical superstar of Ceaușescu's Romania:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...l-superstar-of-ceausescu-romania-rodion-rosca

Sadly now when he's finally been brought to public, Rodion is fighting with cancer. I've been in touch with him lately through email and Facebook. We don't understand each others languages, but he keeps sending me his newest creations filled with heart-emojis. What a great guy! I wish him the best.

interesting - I've never heard of this guy - sounds like a soundtrack to an 80's video game or something !

I'm more apt to listen to instrumental and have found a few recently I hadn't heard of. Never will be able to play most of it but I enjoy it:
Angel Vivaldi - Away with Words
Modern Day Babylon - Coma
Simon Phillips - Protocol III
Anup Sastry

Recently Played:
Owane,
Widek,
Com Truise,
Trifonic,
CHON,
Incubus is always good to go back to,
Jakub Zytecki,
David Maxim Micic,
Skyharbor,
I Built the Sky,
CHVRCHES,
Sithu Aye,
Andy Wood,
Snarky Puppy,
Haunted Shores,
INXS

Not on Spotify, I'm Apple's bitch.

I'm more apt to listen to instrumental and have found a few recently I hadn't heard of. Never will be able to play most of it but I enjoy it:
Angel Vivaldi - Away with Words
Modern Day Babylon - Coma
Simon Phillips - Protocol III
Anup Sastry

Simon Phillips is one of the greatest drummers ever - I will listen to anything with him on it !

Some of my recent played artists/bands:
City Boy
A Perfect Circle
Kino
Plini
Nick Johnston
Flying Colors
Animals As Leaders
Aristocrats
Intervals
Periphery

Liking that list. I'm guessing the Plini, Nick Johnston, Animals as Leaders, Intervals and Periphery all came at once. You can also add (if not already) David Maxim, Sithu Aye and Pomegrante Tiger

The Pineapple Thief was one of my favourite finds. They're prog. rock so dunno whether that's a taste of yours.

Back
Top Bottom