SPOILER --> It's complicated

It looks like he did try it into a guitar cab. Unless he just listed the gear he owned for no reason. I assumed he had.

There are still things you can get wrong with that setup, but....

IDK.

Other than pure volume, I'm not sure I'm actually missing much AITR. And getting good sound at lower volumes (even without the other effects of that volume) is a lot of why I decided to try modeling in the first place. So.....kinda just works for me.

I do get how much of a difference volume makes. But the Dynamics tab gets you close and at this point in my life....if I had to play at 100dB plus to be happy....I wouldn't play nearly as much. Everything is a compromise. This is a good one for me.
That's what I thought originally, but I saw the quote below which I took at face value.

However, after looking it up it is incorrect (https://www.jensentone.com/specification-sheet/16):

He is using a Jensen C12N so he should keep the Cab turned On on the FM3 as that speaker is sort of a FRFR but more geared towards guitar players.

I don't think we know if the OP turned off the Cab block or disabled Cab modeling?

That's what I thought originally, but I saw the quote below which I took at face value.

However, after looking it up it is incorrect (https://www.jensentone.com/specification-sheet/16):

I don't think we know if the OP turned off the Cab block or disabled Cab modeling?

Hi thanks for all the replies!

In short I tried the following setups:
FM3 with
  • Beyerdynamic headphones (of course cab and Poweramp sim ENABLED) --> Really great results
  • Headrush 108 with everything enabled.
  • Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 into a cab with the above mentioned Jensons Speaker. With everything enabled.
  • SD PS 170 into two different guitar cabs with the cab sim disabled. With Poweramp Sim I tried both.
  • FX return of my ENGL Gigmaster into guitar cabs. Both with Poweramp sim enabled and disabled and cab of course disabled.
  • Into the front of my ENGL (on Clean channel). Both with Poweramp sim enabled and disabled and cab of course disabled.

I also applied output EQ to all of these. So from completely flat to heavy cuts high and low.

If I take my ENGL, which is arguably far from being a "boutique amp" and plug it straight into any guitar cab and leave everything at 12 oclock I get a nonspecific but usable round sound. Thats my starting point from which I can go into different directions, depending ob what I'm looking for.

With any modeller I really struggle to find this starting point.

So at this point I think the way for me forward is to be in the same room with someone who is using the Axe /Fm (or even Kemper/Helix/QC etc for all I care) to show me how they dial in their sounds and what they find to be a great tone.
Because I REALLY want to make a modeller my main rig and the Axe Fx family is ticking all the right boxes with me. The way you can organize the signal chain, the different effects. And to be honest, these things just look unbelievably sexy :D
1665553032255.png

I mean like come on. :)
The Vox was just an experiment and might have been a spare solution if I needed a quick way to make the FM3 loud.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for all the replies!

In short I tried the following setups:
FM3 with
  • Beyerdynamic headphones (of course cab and Poweramp sim ENABLED) --> Really great results
  • Headrush 108 with everything enabled.
  • Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 into a cab with the above mentioned Jensons Speaker. With everything enabled.
  • SD PS 170 into two different guitar cabs with the cab sim disabled. With Poweramp Sim I tried both.
  • FX return of my ENGL Gigmaster into guitar cabs. Both with Poweramp sim enabled and disabled and cab of course disabled.
  • Into the front of my ENGL (on Clean channel). Both with Poweramp sim enabled and disabled and cab of course disabled.

I also applied output EQ to all of these. So from completely flat to heavy cuts high and low.

If I take my ENGL, which is arguably far from being a "boutique amp" and plug it straight into any guitar cab and leave everything at 12 oclock I get a nonspecific but usable round sound. Thats my starting point from which I can go into different directions, depending ob what I'm looking for.

With any modeller I really struggle to find this starting point.

So at this point I think the way for me forward is to be in the same room with someone who is using the Axe /Fm (or even Kemper/Helix/QC etc for all I care) to show me how they dial in their sounds and what they find to be a great tone.
Because I REALLY want to make a modeller my main rig and the Axe Fx family is ticking all the right boxes with me. The way you can organize the signal chain, the different effects. And to be honest, these things just look unbelievably sexy :D
View attachment 109666

I mean like come on. :)
The Vox was just an experiment and might have been a spare solution if I needed a quick way to make the FM3 loud.
Well it sounds like you tried all the "right" things.

Hopefully you can find someone that can help you like you suggested.

Since you like headphones I think you'll probably get there with quality FRFR monitors.

I think one of the main difference between your headphone and amp experiences is stereo.
The spacial sense with headphones is addictive.
From reviews I’ve read so far, a pair of MF10s or EVs would restore that sense of space while maintaining the fidelity of the headphone experience.
Just an idea.

I will echo the sentiment of a good pair of monitors! preferably Coaxial, as they sound the closest to a guitar speaker with respect to how the sound comes from them.

I think one of the main difference between your headphone and amp experiences is stereo.
The spacial sense with headphones is addictive.
From reviews I’ve read so far, a pair of MF10s or EVs would restore that sense of space while maintaining the fidelity of the headphone experience.
Just an idea.
Headphones also drastically exaggerate the sense of stereo.

Well it sounds like you tried all the "right" things.

Hopefully you can find someone that can help you like you suggested.

Since you like headphones I think you'll probably get there with quality FRFR monitors.
I was having a hard time replicating the sound I was getting from my headphones into my studio monitors until I realized I had applied drastic EQ changes on the back of my monitors.

@Steeldom In your case it sounds like it's more complicated. Maybe you're using IRs with only a dynamic mic hence the lack of roundness to the sound? It's probably not that but check your IRs just in case. I like the Tone Junkie ones, some of them have a fat warm tone to them I feel which could make your tone more round

I was having a hard time replicating the sound I was getting from my headphones into my studio monitors until I realized I had applied drastic EQ changes on the back of my monitors.
Yeah....that'll do it.

I had to apply a good bit of EQ to get my monitors to sound right. But...that's mostly because of where I have them in my room.

Back
Top Bottom