Splitting a signal into channels??

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
Hi all,

Here's an idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head for a while. I'm a very basic user of the Axe... in case that doesn't become immediately clear.

I've always liked the idea of having a stereo signal live, but in a basic "Haas effect" / doubling sense. I would like to have one "channel" go left, through its own amp and cab, wholly separate to the other channel - which goes through its own amp and cab. The idea is that it's as if two guitarists with different tone are playing.

This would allow me to have parts in the song where only one guitarist ( ;) ) plays, ie silencing the right guitar for a moment - it would also allow harmonised parts to sound really natural, as the guitar on the right could keep its tone but simply jump up to thirds, instead of doubling, like a traditional twin guitarist set-up might do.

I've attached a thirty-second MS Paint diagram to make it clear how it looks in my head, although I know it wouldn't look like this on the Axe-FX grid due to the fact that separate signal paths aren't single channel.

Is there a way that this could be done? I would want them to be separated basically at the input and kept separate, so that the harmonising w/ pitch block thing would work without any noticeable change in tone, stereo positioning, etc.

Split.png

Just split the chain on the axe grid and use the balance control in the mixer section to keep each signal path either left or right - you only really need to do this on the last block on each of the two chains. With some blocks you can set the input to either left or right so set that accordingly too.

I think the confusion may come with the fact that every connecting line on the axe grid is in fact a stereo connection. I believe most mono effects - for example a mono delay - sum the left and right inputs to the block.

I could help more if i was sat at the axe right now, sorry!

Last edited:
Just split the chain on the axe grid and use the balance control in the mixer section to keep each signal path either left or right - you only really need to do this on the last block on each of the two chains. With some blocks you can set the input to either left or right so set that accordingly too.

I think the confusion may come with the fact that every connecting line on the axe grid is in fact a stereo connection. I believe most mono effects - for example a mono delay - sum the left and right inputs to the block.
Yup - I know every shunt/chain is stereo, but - if I used the Mixer, can it actually split the signal prior to all the other blocks, as per my diagram?

A mixer block isn't needed before the separate rows. Branch to or begin with two separate rows, and balance the last block in each one oppositely. Or use output mixer balance controls if running both rows separately to end of grid.

A mixer block isn't needed before the separate rows. Branch to or begin with two separate rows, and balance the last block in each one oppositely. Or use output mixer balance controls if running both rows separately to end of grid.
Will that achieve wholly separate signals, like in the diagram?

Back
Top Bottom