Split/Stereo FX Loop Trick for Dweezil

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Dweezil called me tonight, wanting to have a footswitch on the MFC-101 which would change an FX LOOP block in his preset from "stereo" to "split," where "stereo" would be normal FX Loop operation, and "split" would patch the FX LOOP in on the left and allow dry signal on the right. An existing footswitch turned the FX LOOP on or off.

I came up with something different that does the same thing. It works! The artist was very happy.

PREPARATION/REQUIREMENTS:

MFC: Two MFC footswitches are designated. The first is labelled "LOOP STEREO." The second is labelled "LOOP SPLIT." We used 16 and 17.

AXE-FX: A Volume block is connected in parallel to the FX LOOP.

--[CAB]---[FXL]---[GEQ]--
........\-[VOL]-/

The VOL block's INPUT MODE is set to "RIGHT ONLY". Its BYPASS MODE is set to "MUTE".

On the MFC:
IA 16 Axe-Fx mode set to NONE
IA 17 Axe-Fx mode set to NONE

Switch 16, Command 1 turns the FXLOOP block on and off.
IA 16 c1: CC#59 Ch 1
IA16 c1 Off 000 On127
CC#59 controls the FX LOOP by default. It's BYPASS MODE is set to THRU.

Switch 16, Command 2 makes sure the VOL block turns OFF whenever this switch is used.
IA 16 c2: CC#25 (ext 10) Ch 1
IA17 c1 Off 000 On000
Modifier on Bypass Mode of the Volume Block is assigned to EXT10

Switch 17, Command 1 turns the FXLOOP block on and off.
IA 17 c1: CC#59 Ch 1
IA17 c1 Off 000 On127

Switch 17, Command 2 Turns the
VOL/PAN block on when needed, and sets the FX LOOP "Balance" so wet is on the left in "split" mode.
IA16 c1 Off 000 On127
IA17 c1 Off 000 On127
Modifier on Bypass Mode of the Volume Block is already assigned to EXT10
A Modifier on Balance in the FX LOOP moves it right in split mode.
SOURCE: EXT 10​
MIN: 0​
MAX: 100​

Link Group

Switches 16 and 17 are placed into a mutually exclusive group so they cannot both be on at the same time ;-)

LINK A: 16 17 -- -- --

So that's it. You can substitute lots of other blocks into this setup too... If you wanted to, you could use a different EXTERNAL to control the Bypass Mode modifier of the FXLOOP rather than "hard coding" it to #59.

Have fun!

Matt,

Interesting stuff, but I'm having trouble seeing what or how to use this trick. In other words, having this volume block parallel to the effects loop block: can you give examples of what you can do with it?

Thanks!

Matt,

Interesting stuff, but I'm having trouble seeing what or how to use this trick. In other words, having this volume block parallel to the effects loop block: can you give examples of what you can do with it?

Thanks!

I am only guessing but I presume the intent is to be able to record a loop with one effect then while that loop is repeating, play over the top of it with a different effect chain? ie. Split mode, and switch back to normal stereo looper mode when required.

Cheers S

Matt,

Thanks for posting this, i had no idea about the link group and i was just thinking about how to set up 2 switches that if i turned one on it would turn the other off.

I am only guessing but I presume the intent is to be able to record a loop with one effect then while that loop is repeating, play over the top of it with a different effect chain? ie. Split mode, and switch back to normal stereo looper mode when required.

Cheers S

I read it differently. The FX Loop is a send/return to Output 2. Matt's client wants a stereo split, with left going to Output 2, and right going to Output 1, with the ability to control the mix.

Very cool. Is the device dweezil is using in the loop stereo in and out or one in and two outs? I want to use an Adrenalinn AIII in my loops sometimes and was trying to figure out how to have this option. Your post will help a bunch. Thanks!

Dweezil called me tonight, wanting to have a footswitch on the MFC-101 which would change an FX LOOP block in his preset from "stereo" to "split," where "stereo" would be normal FX Loop operation, and "split" would patch the FX LOOP in on the left and allow dry signal on the right. An existing footswitch turned the FX LOOP on or off.

I came up with something different that does the same thing. It works! The artist was very happy.

PREPARATION/REQUIREMENTS:

MFC: Two MFC footswitches are designated. The first is labelled "LOOP STEREO." The second is labelled "LOOP SPLIT." We used 16 and 17.

AXE-FX: A Volume block is connected in parallel to the FX LOOP.

--[CAB]---[FXL]---[GEQ]--
........\-[VOL]-/

The VOL block's INPUT MODE is set to "RIGHT ONLY". Its BYPASS MODE is set to "MUTE".

On the MFC:
IA 16 Axe-Fx mode set to NONE
IA 17 Axe-Fx mode set to NONE

Switch 16, Command 1 turns the FXLOOP block on and off.
IA 16 c1: CC#59 Ch 1
IA16 c1 Off 000 On127

Switch 16, Command 2 makes sure the VOL block turns OFF whenever this switch is used.
IA 16 c2: CC#25 (ext 10) Ch 1
IA17 c1 Off 000 On000
Modifier on Bypass Mode of the Volume Block is assigned to EXT10

Switch 17, Command 1 turns the FXLOOP block on and off.
IA 17 c1: CC#59 Ch 1
IA17 c1 Off 000 On127

Switch 17, Command 2 Turns the
VOL/PAN block on when needed, and sets the FX LOOP "Balance" so wet is on the left in "split" mode.
IA16 c1 Off 000 On127
IA17 c1 Off 000 On127
Modifier on Bypass Mode of the Volume Block is already assigned to EXT10
A Modifier on Balance in the FX LOOP moves it right in split mode.
SOURCE: EXT 10​
MIN: 0​
MAX: 100​

Link Group

Switches 16 and 17 are placed into a mutually exclusive group so they cannot both be on at the same time ;-)

LINK A: 16 17 -- -- --

So that's it. You can substitute lots of other blocks into this setup too... If you wanted to, you could use a different EXTERNAL to control the Bypass Mode modifier of the FXLOOP rather than "hard coding" it to #59.

Have fun!

We're about to revisit this for the upcoming ZPZ Roxy tour.
Stand by for 2013 notes.

Very crafty work there - that's crazy cool. Nicely done Matt! Glad he called you and not me to figure that out! ;) :D

I use out2fxloop to power amp and guitar .is there anyway to have 2 fxloops I want to use some fx pedals in the fxloop but also use out for cabs with cab sims off. Would we need another fxloop? Is there anyway to have 2 fix loops?

Back
Top Bottom