Wish Split Global Blocks and Axe-Edit Block Library into indiv. channels

GreatGreen

Power User
Currently with both Global Blocks and Axe Edit save libraries, we can only save entire blocks at a time. In other words, we can't save and recall single channels of any specific block via Global Blocks or in Axe Edit when using the saved block library.

I believe both Global Blocks and the Axe Edit Block Library would be way more useful if we could be just a bit more granular in how we save sounds. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot more people who'd like to be able to save and single channels of each block so they could mix and match later, as opposed to only allowing the option of saving any specific sound in a group of 3 other channels.

Saving individual channels in the block library is a feature in Axe Edit for the Axe-Fx II, so the precedent is definitely there.

if you want a simple effects library, just save as many blocks as you want in the library using only channel A. And copy/paste that channel when needed. The latest AE III lets you do that.

It wouldn't work with Global Blocks anyway.

Let's say you're using Global Block "1" of the Amp 1 block in a preset. You now recall or copy/paste your favorite "Brit 800" channel from the library. Save the preset. You've now changed this channel in all presets with "Global Block "1", which wasn't the goal.

Axe-Edit for the Axe-Fx II does not save individual channels (X/Y) in the Block Library.

Last edited:
I see what you’re saying, but that still doesn’t really do much good for people if they’re trying to build patches for a gig, and it feels so wasteful.

Axe-Fx III patches are designed to be pretty dense, almost every block has at least four channels. If we can only save entire blocks at a time, it seems like will be wasting a whole lot of potential.

For example, it’s currently impossible to build let’s say a patch of your 8 favorite Marshall amps, then make another patch of your favorite 8 Fender sounds... then when a gig comes up and you need to make a patch, grabbing the Marshall from Amp1 channnel C of your Marshall patch, the Fender from Amp2 channel B of the Fender patch, channel A of your Mesa patch, etc.

It seems like that functionality is ideal for any kind of granular library system. I could see the current system working fine with the Axe-Fx II because at most you’re only “losing” one channel per global/library save, but the extra functionality of the Axe-Fx III kind of kills the efficiency or usefulness of saving individual sounds at all if you’re stuck with only being able to save sounds in groups of 4 locked-together channels.

I’m really trying to understand. But I fail to see where copy/paste from a “channel” file would be any different from copy/paste from a “block” file’s channel.

The scenario you’re describing in the 3rd paragraph is entirely possible now. I’m curious why you think this is currently impossible.

It also depends how you configure your controller. For example, my RJM lets me choose any channel from both Amp blocks. I know you own one too. :)

Last edited:
I’m really trying to understand. But I fail to see where copy/paste from a “channel” file would be any different from copy/paste from a “block” file’s channel.

The scenario you’re describing in the 3rd paragraph is entirely possible now. I’m curious why you think this is currently impossible.

It also depends how you configure your controller. For example, my RJM lets me choose any channel from both Amp blocks. I know you own one too. :)

Sure do! Love that RJM.

Also, sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I wasn't talking about recalling sounds from previously saved patches, I'm talking about building new patches from scratch using previously saved sounds. For example, I was using Axe Edit this morning and when I saved a sound to Axe Edit's library, and was only able to save an entire block's worth of sounds to the library.

But are you saying there's a way to copy and paste individual channels from multiple patches into a single patch? So if I'm building a new patch, let's call it Patch 10, can I simply go into Patch 2 and copy Amp2C and paste it to Patch 10, Amp1A, then go to Patch 4 and copy Amp1D and paste to Patch 10, Amp1B, etc? Because that's ultimately what I'm looking to be able to accomplish but from what I've seen, that seems to be impossible, at least with the Block Library functionality in Axe Edit. Can this be done by just regularly copying and pasting channels?

Last edited:
> But are you saying there's a way to copy and paste individual channels from multiple patches into a single patch? So if I'm building a new patch, let's call it Patch 10, can I simply go into Patch 2 and copy Amp2C and paste it to Patch 10, Amp1A, then go to Patch 4 and copy Amp1D and paste to Patch 10, Amp1B, etc? Because from what I've seen, that seems to be impossible.​

Absolutely. Make sure to install the latest AE beta. Select a preset > block > channel, then click on the triangle next to "Channel" at bottom left. You'll see "Copy current channel to Clipboard". Do that and switch to another preset, where you can do the same and then select "Paste clipboard to current channel".

Oh sweet, I didn't know this was possible. Awesome, thanks yek.

I still think it would be cool to be able to save Channels, or have a "channel library" instead of a block library, but this is a workable alternative. It just means we'll have to keep our sounds saved within the Axe-Fx for recall instead of in a "channel library."

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
The new copy paste channel is a major improvement in work flow. Just for the record I would personally probably like global channels better than global blocks. When I have a favorite sound I want to save, it’s usually not 4 channels worth. More important to me would be the ability to name global blocks.

I agree, especially for Axe-Edit. It would be great to have say a library of my favourite delay settings saved in a channels library. Then when I'm building a preset I can load four of them in to the channels of a block. It's possible now by placing a second delay block, loading one at a time, and copying and pasting the channel, but that's a 3 step process for each channel instead of just 1.

In Axe Edit it allows you to copy a channel to the clip board ( i.e Channel A from your amp block ). when you go to a different preset and want to copy that channel from the clipboard to a different channel ( say channel B on the amp block in a different preset ) it does not work . I tried numerous times. the amp does not change. I posted this on the axe edit board and others have the same issue . I don't know if it is an Axe edit issue or the Axe3 issue.

It only allows you to copy the whole block over , overwriting all channels of your current block .

I also tried to do this with out Axe Edit, just on the axe and I don't see any way to do it .

This would save huge amounts of time , especially if you found 4 really good amp presets and you copied each one onto a different channel in a new preset , you could all 4 amps in the same block with a few clicks of the mouse .

Another more concrete example: I like to use both multi-delays in my patches. I have different channel settings which give different configurations of a multi-delay. Depending on the patch, I want to mix and match these channels in different ways. Currently there is no easy fool-proof way to do that. I need to save the patch I'm working on, then load the block which contains the channel I want from the library, copy the channel to the clipboard, revert the preset, then paste the channel to the desired slot. There's lots of opportunities to accidentally lose work in this process, either forgetting to save the preset before loading the block from the library, or accidentally saving it after loading a block to grab a channel out of it. I think being able to load one channel at a time would really streamline this process and also reduce the potential for mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom