SPL Transient Designer effect in the Axefx

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I want to add faster transients or a sharper attack in the axefx, in a manner similar to the SPL Transient Designer. I'd like to do this after the amp and cab. How can this effect be done simply?

Thanks!

Well... in a studio situation I would look at using a fairly heavy compressor (to squash the signal) with a fairly slow attack (to allow that first transient to come through without being squashed). I don't have an AXE handy right now so that is as specific as I can be, but it might get you started...

HTH.

There is a new pick attack parameter you should check out in the new firmware :)

Then there is the eq-effect where you boost the area of pick attack to highlight it.

Rook also made a good point with the compressor because then the transients will stand more out at least,

the transients will become bigger than the rest of the signal, being more squashed than before.

Ok, but what if you are using an Ultra? What can simulate increasing pick attack and how?

There is a new pick attack parameter you should check out in the new firmware :)

Then there is the eq-effect where you boost the area of pick attack to highlight it.

Rook also made a good point with the compressor because then the transients will stand more out at least,

the transients will become bigger than the rest of the signal, being more squashed than before.

Sorry I did not read anything about the ultra, I just saw axefx and posted in the axe-fx II discussion :p

I know how to do it, and the new Pick Attack stuff is based on it, but I don't want to give away the secret.

Hey Cliff, how about a separate block, say call it trans that would allow users to use it at different parts of their signal path. Would also be great for the folks who use the Axe for effects only!!

Cheers

I know a way to do it using envelope followers but you need two of them and there is only one in the Axe :cry

So your best bet is probably the compressor, hard knee, slow attack, lookahead off.

I've experimented with the transient designer and compressors.. seems like the attack should be around 10ms and ratio around 1:4. Then start lowering the threshold until you get that snap. Ofcourse you can overdo the threshold and finetune the attack to taste. And like it was said, no lookahead.

Back
Top Bottom